S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MAP Whak issues

Old 04-02-2004, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAP Whak issues

Hello All,
I recently (yesterday) had my car detailed. It looks great but runs different. When I dropped it off it sounded good & healthy. When I got it back it sounded like it wasn't breathing as well as it should, i.e. the intake (I have the stock air box top removed) and the exhaust was alot quieter. So after checking some of the threads I decided to try the infamous MAP Whack hoping that maybe it got bumped or something during cleaning. I completed the procedure, reinstalled the map and then............... all hell broke loose. The car started sputtering and whimpering when drive it would shake and shutter running really bad, then (like I thought) the CEL came on. I called Honda and their currently looking at my car. Do you guys have any idea what this might be .

Current MOD's, HKS exhaust, VAFC(installed for about 2 years now) and a K&N Filter.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Some possibilities:
When you had your car detailed, did this include the interior? If so, the detailer may have agitated the wiring for your VAFC. A loose wire will do all sorts of weird things to your car.
Next, when you removed your MAP sensor, do you REALLY mean you took it off the throttle body? Or did you just unclip the wiring harness? If you actually removed it, you may have damaged it. It has a very delicate sensor component. The "MAP whack" does NOT involve removing the MAP, just unclipping the harness and thumping the top of the sensor and clipping the harness back on. This essentially helps to clean up the wiring contacts a bit and to dislodge and grunge that may have built up on the sensor.
Look to these two things and also reset your ECU.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:41 AM

Another possiblity is if you had the engine washed then something electrical could have gotten wet.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:00 AM

When I got it back it sounded like it wasn't breathing as well as it should, i.e. the intake (I have the stock air box top removed)
so you have the top removed and they washed your engine?? they could've soaked your filter in soapy high pressure water, which wouldve damaged the K+N. who knows? but i'd also re-check the wiring to the VAFC, because after two years something could've come loose and the timing could've been coincidental (sp).
Old 04-02-2004, 10:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by redsound
Old 04-02-2004, 10:08 AM

xviper,
Well I did actually remove the MAP Sensor it self, the post I read said to unscrew it and give it whack. Oops!! Well I think I know what the problem is now, What a high ass!!

P.S.Would a bad MAP throw the CEL??

Let the flame session begin
Old 04-02-2004, 10:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
Old 04-02-2004, 10:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SeanyP
xviper,
Old 04-02-2004, 10:20 AM

The car is currently at Honda being looked at right now. When I described the problem to the serv. mngr. and told him I thought it was a bad MAP sensor, he agreed. I supose it could be the VAFC connection, it is connected via a wiring harness from Field. I check all of those things,

Thanks xviper, I knew you'd pull through in the clutch!!
Old 04-02-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by SeanyP
I supose it could be the VAFC connection, it is connected via a wiring harness from Field.
Not meaning to add fuel to your already hot fire, but .......................
There have been several reports now of VAFC harnesses that were bad or went bad - connectors coming out of their little holding clips.

Quick Reply: MAP Whak issues