S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MAP sensor problem showing up at 35k miles? Plus some interesting data

Old 05-25-2004, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading all this made me wonder what was going on inside the MAP sensor. A bit of searching found these two documents. They seem to explain it pretty well so I thought I might as well post the links...

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h35.pdf
http://www.mot.co.jp/SPS/html/lit/pdf/mpx4...x4105a.rev4.pdf
Old 05-26-2004, 06:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anybody ever opened up a symptomatic MAP sensor to see what might be inside?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always wanted to correlate the use of oiled filters and the frequency of MAP problems. It is one of the suspects when it comes to contamination.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:40 PM

Back in the summer of 2000, I actually went to the Comptech CAI because of the stalling, bogging/hesitation problems. The Comptech did dramatically reduce the frequency of the problem.

Since my short-block replacement back @ 76k miles, I have also gone back to the OEM airbox and have noticed the increase in hesitation frequency this summer. I'm going to let the temps get into the upper 90's and document the number of times my problem occurs for a while. I will then reinstall the Comptech CAI and determine if it still helps.

My car will be 4 years this August 22 and this problem has been with me all the while. After all these major and minor problems, I feel that there is still no other car that is as much fun for the money.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:53 AM

My problem is and has been a misfire code on the #1 cylinder ever since I bought the car with 6,000 miles on it. The day after I bought it, they had to replace the computer because the #1 wasn't even firing. (Could barely get the car up to 70 on the highway)
Second computer was installed at around 55,000 miles, and the third was put in yesterday (70,000 miles).
Honda and several dealers have not been able to determine the problem, but we know that the computer replacement will resolve the problem for 10 to 15k miles, then the SAME misfire on the #1 comes back. I haven't asked about the MAP sensor, although it's been mentioned to me, and Honda has NO recommendations as to what could be causing the problem. It it's as simple as replacing/ thwacking the MAP, then I will gladly do that and keep the car. If I need to replace the computer every 12K, then I will gladly sell/ trade the car for something more dependable.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!

K&N filter, Mobil 1 oil No other engine mods.
MY 02 - 70,000 miles
Old 05-27-2004, 06:30 AM

PENROD,

I had a problem back at 30k miles where all of my cylinders were misfiring. The Honda-Techs flew in from Cali to analyze my problem but to no avail. They pressure tested the head in hopes of finding overrev damage so that I could be blamed for the problem. The head passed all their tests and was reinstalled. They went through the rest of of the components spark plugs, wires, etc. and still pulled the same misfire codes on all 4 cylinders. They checked out the ECU, fuel pump and still no fix. When they replaced all 4 fuel injectors, everything ran fine. They were at a loss as to why this was the cause of the problem and that they weren't able to find it quicker.

They had my car in their shop for 5 weeks to diagnose this problem. I had actually brought the car to another dealership and they took 2 weeks to determine that they couldn't do anything for me. I understand your frustration.

The competency of all these Honda Techs was in question when they came up with the answer after only 7.5 weeks.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MY filter has never been of the oiled type, but I've had to whack the MAP on a couple of occasions (72k+ miles).

Also, please be careful about using sandpaper on the connectors. I've never paid attention to what coatings are on the MAP sensor wire, but they're usually not very thick, and a good scrubbing with sandpaper could rub off the top coat. Once that's gone, you're usually down to a type of metal that corrodes quite easily, so you'll just be excaserbating the issue.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:21 PM

Joe -
Thanks.
They've replaced all four of the injectors (under warranty, thank god), flushed the injection system (don't ask me why, but that was at my cost $130), and this week they had the brilliant idea to check the ground on the alternator (to no avail).

I have to ask two questions:
Do you still have that same car?
Did the problem ever come back/ ever go away?
Old 05-27-2004, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by PENROD
Joe -
Thanks.
They've replaced all four of the injectors (under warranty, thank god), flushed the injection system (don't ask me why, but that was at my cost $130), and this week they had the brilliant idea to check the ground on the alternator (to no avail).

I have to ask two questions:
Do you still have that same car?
Did the problem ever come back/ ever go away?
I still have the same car, but with a different short block now. However, the problem has never resurfaced with the original or the new short-block.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed now that I'm 400 miles from reaching my 100k mile warranty limit.

I wish you luck with your situation. Try and stick with it for as long as you can because this car is simply a joy to drive and there isn't a replacement option available for the same money.

Maybe you can get them to offer you a "good-will" trade for another S2000?

Joe
Old 05-27-2004, 12:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joe_s2k
Maybe you can get them to offer you a "good-will" trade for another S2000?

Quick Reply: MAP sensor problem showing up at 35k miles? Plus some interesting data