S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MAP sensor problem showing up at 35k miles? Plus some interesting data

Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was the info I found by searching... in fact, most of the info is in this very thread. Funny thing is, I just had the same problem with my integra. I completed all of the Helms testing for the TPS, IAVC was cleaned, MAP sensor tested, Brake booster was tested, ECU was tested and everything came up in perfect working order and specs... I put everything back together, went for a drive, and everything was fine... I'm thinking it was either a vacuum leak at the brake booster, or just some sort of connection problem with a sensor...

I would assume that since this is the same exact problem, I should be checking the same things on the S2000. Is there a PDF Helms for the S2000?? Anymore input from anyone? The problem is back... whacking the MAP sensor did absolutely nothing. I just got this car and this is quite honestly the first time under the hood of this car... I haven't even done an oil change yet! (Although it is now due... will do that today)
Old 07-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Bringing this back as I've been having the exact same symptoms since I got the car last year. MY02.

Replaced MAP, injectors, O2 sensors, new spark plugs, temperature sensor. The car had been running fine for 3 months after all these were replaced.

Problem came back 2 weeks ago and it is driving me nuts. I almost got rear-ended yesterday on freeway because the car blogged and no power while switching lane. Engine light came up and it was signaling the MAP sensor is no good.

Bought a MAP sensor and a crank angle sensor from dealer yesterday. Going to replace them tonight. Reason for the crank sensor is because my mechanics suggested to replace it along with MAP as they associate with each other in the wiring diagram.

Will report back with hopefully a positive result.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:18 PM

please help I have the high rpm hiccups now!!!

http://s2000.com/forums/engine-tech-drivet...elp-please.html
Old 08-14-2009, 12:33 PM

http://s2000.com/forums/engine-tech-drivet...hesitation.html

found another one with my problem
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chickwithastick,Sep 4 2008, 08:41 PM
So, I am reviving this thread because it is pretty informative compared to the others I have found about the MAP sensor/ stalling at idle problem.

I have an 03 at 53K miles with the UPDATED MAP sensor... a fancy ass ziptie around it

Basically, for the past week I have been experiencing stalling at stop lights, and sluggish starts from lights. It is extremely intermittent, sometimes the car will just bog down, other times it will actually die, and other times it is completely fine. Each time, it will start up again no problem. I gave the MAP sensor a few good whacks tonight, but I was wondering if anyone has found any other PERMANENT solutions to this problem.

Perhaps this is actually not the MAP sensor, and is pointing at another problem? I just had the same problem with my integra and after completing all of the HELMS troubleshooting, the problem mysteriously went away.... Is there something in the air here in Houston?
up!

this sounds exactly like my problem. in fact it just happened today. car warmed up fine, drove fine for a few miles, came to a red light, put the clutch in and braked, car died. it restarted just fine, but did the same thing about 3 miles later when i came to a stop.

i've cleaned out the iacv, problem eventually came back. new spark plugs at proper gap and valve adjustment done like 1000 miles ago. problem came back.

i'm going to try the map whack this weekend. hopefully that does it, but it seems the stalling problem isn't associated with the map whack?

i'm worried about it being the TPS. the reason being is because my car is tuned on e-manage ultimate and one of the mods is a spoon throttle body with port matched intake manifold. so if the TPS is bad, am i pretty much out of luck? can't just swap oem TB without causing a lot of problems.

however, i do believe i had this problem BEFORE the spoon TB went on as well and the spoon tb comes with a new tps i think.

any advice?
Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hero,Aug 12 2010, 12:31 PM
this sounds exactly like my problem. in fact it just happened today. car warmed up fine, drove fine for a few miles, came to a red light, put the clutch in and braked, car died. it restarted just fine, but did the same thing about 3 miles later when i came to a stop.
If it remains running even while coasting at slow speeds (5-10mph) but dies when you come to a complete stop, it's the TPS. Had a similar problem 5-6 years ago, had to replace the entire throttle body just to get a working TPS... $450ish over the counter, if memory serves.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hero
So, I am reviving this thread because it is pretty informative compared to the others I have found about the MAP sensor/ stalling at idle problem.

I have an 03 at 53K miles with the UPDATED MAP sensor... a fancy ass ziptie around it

Basically, for the past week I have been experiencing stalling at stop lights, and sluggish starts from lights. It is extremely intermittent, sometimes the car will just bog down, other times it will actually die, and other times it is completely fine. Each time, it will start up again no problem. I gave the MAP sensor a few good whacks tonight, but I was wondering if anyone has found any other PERMANENT solutions to this problem.

Perhaps this is actually not the MAP sensor, and is pointing at another problem? I just had the same problem with my integra and after completing all of the HELMS troubleshooting, the problem mysteriously went away.... Is there something in the air here in Houston?
up!

i've cleaned out the iacv, problem eventually came back. new spark plugs at proper gap and valve adjustment done like 1000 miles ago. problem came back.

i'm going to try the map whack this weekend. hopefully that does it, but it seems the stalling problem isn't associated with the map whack?

i'm worried about it being the TPS. the reason being is because my car is tuned on e-manage ultimate and one of the mods is a spoon throttle body with port matched intake manifold. so if the TPS is bad, am i pretty much out of luck? can't just swap oem TB without causing a lot of problems.

however, i do believe i had this problem BEFORE the spoon TB went on as well and the spoon tb comes with a new tps i think.

any advice?

Hero, I have the exact same setup, emanage ultimate, and just put on a bored throttle body and port matched intake manifold. What was the solution in your case? I have the same exact symptoms.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:07 PM

Just sharing this for S2k owners with MAP sensor problem ( from 5k-7k stalling for slight second) my buddy S have been having this problem on/off and recently more and more often. 02 Ap1 around 80K miles, he has since got new MAP sensor, Honda sensor zip tie, new spark plugs, re-adjusted valves etc still no fix. Finally went back to step 1 with MAP sensor. We just disconnected the sensor (female connector engine harness side). Pull the pins platic holder off and use a needle nose plier and squeeze the female pins connector tight. Plug it back and zip tied the connector/sensor. Been about 4 months now problem hasn't came back once. This was a recall with Honda MAP sensor/connector loose problem. I think it viabrate loose overtime causing the female/male pins loosen even with tie wrap it doesn't have a solid tight connections. Try this see if it fixes for problem, it's easy & free . Hope this help anyone with MAP sensor problem.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
Originally Posted by Hero' timestamp='1281630697' post='19288596

up!

any advice?

Hero, I have the exact same setup, emanage ultimate, and just put on a bored throttle body and port matched intake manifold. What was the solution in your case? I have the same exact symptoms.
Just got your pm, sorry for the delay. just haven't actually logged on in a while.

The short answer is no, never solved it. However, i can tell you it most definitely was a result of the e-manage. More accurately, i should probably say the way the EMU was tuned, to be fair. I've actually taken it out and it solved all the stalling issues. So there you go.

I'd like to re-install it though since it made such a huge difference, but i'd opt to have the tune done from scratch this time. A little more costly, but i'd expect everything to be done perfectly.