S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MAP sensor

Old 10-11-2003, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAP sensor

Where can I purchase and how do I install a new MAP sensor. I am experiencing sputtering at low rpm's and in traffic.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Verify that it is the problem first. Lightly rapping the MAP should help if it's the problem.

How many miles do you have? This is not a teribly common problem with Hondas.

All Honda MAP sensors made since about 93 are the same. It is the plastic thing on top of the throttle body (where the intake pipe connects to) that is held on with two phillips screws. Simply unscrew and remove then replace.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:21 PM

I have a 01 with 21000 miles. I have noticed the stuttering a little before on hot day here in south Florida but today was just unbearable. Kept stuttering in 1st and 2nd gear at low RPM's. I know its not the gas since I am at half a tank and it did not occur with a full tank.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:26 PM

One last thing, the check engine light turned on and off a couple of times while this was occuring and it turned off after about 3 blinks.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by marcucci
All Honda MAP sensors made since about 93 are the same.
Are they really the same or just look the same? They have different Denso model numbers on them and there are quite a few different part numbers (although I have seen the S2000 and Prelude numbers are the same).
Old 10-11-2003, 09:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by opjr11
One last thing, the check engine light turned on and off a couple of times while this was occuring and it turned off after about 3 blinks.
Are you sure it was the CEL and not the maintenance required light? The maintenance light will blink upon engine start up and then go off. After a few more hundreds of miles, it will stay on solid.
A CEL that blinks is a VERY BAD thing and will not go off by itself. If the CEL comes on solid, it will not go off by itself until the fault is corrected.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:37 PM
Former Moderator

ive encountered this sputtering at low rpm and cruising speed also lately, i have posted and made a thread about it before and most people believe it is the MAP, one of my friends replaced a MAP sensor on an S at the dealership he worked at because of the same problem. If your car is doing it pretty regularly, you should have a tech take a snap shot with the PGM and send it in to tech line at honda and they will tell you if the sensor is bad. Mine has went about a week since its last sputter. hopefully it will stay gone.

Another S came in at work the other day complaining of a surge, possibly the same problem..... I think we're seeing this problem popping up more and more lately...Hello Honda!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:30 AM

cdelena:
They carry different Denso numbers but AFAIK they are all functionally equivalent (volts vs. MAP). I have successfully swapped different p/ns from 93-01 w/o problems (admittedly not on an S2k). I know the characteristic voltage is the same as the VAFC reports like values from 93 to 03.

A blinking CEL means a misfire. If it's really the CEL and not the Maint light then it's a serious issue and might not be the MAP. It's an easy component to troubleshoot (bolting in a new one) but the Honda procedure for that CEL should be followed. Has the spark plug update been done? Plugs been changed? A loose plug will cause that problem.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:15 PM

Your correct, it was the maint req light and not the CEL light. I verified it yesterday when the same thing happened again. If it's not the MAP, what else can it be.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Please clarify by what you mean when you say "low rpm sputtering".
You wouldn't by chance be refering to a situation where, during stop and go traffic, when you try to accelerate to get caught up to the car ahead of you, the car begins to "jump about" like it was trying to move forward, but can't quite do it? This is also talked about on this forum and has been refered to as "bucking" and "kangarooing". If this is what you are talking about, then it is a matter of slightly changing your slow speed driving technique. ie. clutch/throttle control when moving off from a very low speed.
If it is not then yes, concentrate on that MAP sensor thing. Try the "MAP whack" trick. Take a rubber handled screwdriver and firmly tap the sensor several times with the rubber end. Also disconnect the wiring harness and firmly re-connect it. If this fixes the problem, it will most likely return later and will tell you it is the MAP sensor.
Oh, it can be a few other things as well, but this is a good place to start.

Quick Reply: MAP sensor