S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Manual tranny fluid

Old 11-14-2002, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys/gals -

I've done an advanced search and I can't find the threads I was looking for. I've also read what's in the library section and while I greatly appreciate that info. I was looking for more feedback.

A while back someone was posting about GM Synchromesh. The thread had the part number and a review. I also recall a thorough write up on the difference between GM, Redline and Honda MTF.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or better yet, did anyone save that/those thread(s)?

My 2002 is going in for its 7,500 mile service in a week or so and my tranny is getting a little notchy with the very occassional grind (only on hot days and when I 've been driving really hard). I want to be proactive about this and think maybe the factory fill is breaking down.

BTW, I live in S. Ca so I don't really have to worry about super cold or super hot temp's.

Thanks in advance,
Old 11-14-2002, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey dude, search is sucking a$$ right now.

Here's a pretty recent thread with some good information in it. I haven't tried GM Synchromesh myself, but I hear it's good... only problem is it doesn't have a very long life. The Royal Purple Synchromax is supposed to be similar, but last longer, and the Neosynthetic stuff is a whole different thing. From experience, I can tell you that Redline MTF is very good WHEN HOT, but very notchy when cold... and by cold, I mean last week in So Cal cold, not Michigan or Canada cold.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the GM fluid but switched back to Honda MTF. I don't have a grinding problem or anything, just wanted to see if it could be improved but I like the Honda MTF feel better when the tranny is up to normal operating temperatures. The GM fluid although smooth was too slushy not firm.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:49 AM

thanks guys. the search function seems to be working funky. I re-searched my original search (talk about a mouth full) and a whole bunch of old threads popped up that weren't there yesterday. Weird.

Anyone else's experience/thoughts/advice/predictions for the 2003 baseball season are welcome.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

De Hapa, you might look into this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=90599

I'm currently using GM Synchromesh and I like it very well. But I don't think that it's going to last very long. I'm now interested in the NEO Manual Transmission Fluid. It's not supposed to wear out. It's in the thread above.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 11-16-2002, 04:49 PM

De Hapa, if you are close to Signal Hill, drop in at NEO and you can get all the helpp and info you need. Tell them I sent you.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:32 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I've tried several of the afore mentioned and I'm happily back to the Honda stuff. It seems to do the best job balancing the compromises IMHO.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:43 PM

RT, can you summarize your experiences with various transmission fluid.

I am due to change my transmission fluid but, can't decide on the fluid.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by S2KYSK
RT, can you summarize your experiences with various transmission fluid.

I am due to change my transmission fluid but, can't decide on the fluid.

Thanks.
I'll give you my impressions gathered from many posts on this subject. Please post any corrections, I have not used Redline, NEO or Royal Purple.

Honda MTF: a non-synthetic, good fluid that works good for 7500 to 10000 miles. OK in large temperature variations. A fresh change seems to get rid of grinding and notchiness.

Redline: full synthetic that several people have tried and some of them changed back to Honda MTF. I do not have any experience with this fluid. I believe cdelena likes this for his car.

GM Synchromesh: this is a blend of normal oil and synthetic oil and it works great in my transmission, but it is starting to wear out at about 4000 miles. It works very well in cold weather. It has removed all grinding in second gear.

NEO MTF: full synthetic that was developed for transmissions that need /use standard motor oil (like ours). This is supposed to be the longest lasting oil of the lot. I'm getting ready to try it on my next change. Chipperman has been using this brand for some time in his fleet of vehicles and is sold on NEO products. No experience with this product.

Royal Purple Synchromax: full synthetic that should last longer than Honda MTF. No experience with this product.

Da Hapa, the part number for the GM Synchromesh is: 12345349 and can be purchased at a local Chevrolet dealer. They carry it for the Corvettes and Camaros. Mine was $9.99/qt.

This isn't complete, but hope that this helps,
Bob
Old 11-17-2002, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am curious to hear the results of the Neo and RP Synchromax. I am sure they will be smoother than Honda MTF but will it feel rubberry like the GM Synchromesh. Rubberry is

Quick Reply: Manual tranny fluid