S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Malfunction light after cold v-tec!?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malfunction light after cold v-tec!?

Hi!

Have a 99 apr1. Stupidly v-tec'd while cold on friday morning (never normally do that!). Couple of engine jerks later and the malfunction light is on.
Engine idled low for couple of mins but runs fine now. Honda say it's likely an o2 sensor but want £97 to 'investigate further' and quote £300 for new sensor...if thats the prob.

I'm wondering what i've actually done?

And if I'm at the mercy of this honda garage?

Any thoughts much appreciated

Bad times

Matt
Old 01-30-2012, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think the ECU would allow for VTEC under cold conditions? I believe oil pressure criteria has to be met first. Did you get a CEL? If so, what codes were they? If you can get the codes, we can help diagnose the issue.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
I didn't think the ECU would allow for VTEC under cold conditions? I believe oil pressure criteria has to be met first. Did you get a CEL? If so, what codes were they? If you can get the codes, we can help diagnose the issue.

To clarify sorry. I took revs to point of v-tec...(it jerked) then the light came on. & it cut out a couple of times due to low idle.

i will get codes from honda! and post

Thanks
Old 01-30-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Screw Honda. Go buy a cheap code reader and scan it yourself. It will cost less. Or go to autozone they will scan it for free.

Honda is taking a wild guess, don't trust them. There is no link between what you did and an o2 sensor.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if they have Autozone in the UK.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 PM

I hit V-TEC cold once and my VTEC has never worked right since. Doesnt engage in first gear and now only sometimes in second gear. Have no idea where to troubleshoot this other than an ECU reset or replacing the VTEC solenoid.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Banned

VTEC won't engage unless the following conditions are met:

Engine up to operating temp
oil pressure sufficient
VTEC RPM engagement point reached
Vehicle must be in motion

As far as solving your current issue, Billman gave some good advice. Get the code read, and report back. As far as the O2 sensor being the problem, the only possible way that could happen would be somehow the hot exhaust gases cracked your exhaust because it was cold (rapid heating = expansion/possible cracking). The chance of that happening is slim to none.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 PM

It's true, VTEC will not be engaged unless you are at operating temp, plus a few other basic variables... What happens, is the vtec point is set as the fuel cut-off. Rapidly accelerating and then hitting the fuel cut-off wall will make the car jerk quite a bit. But I've never seen a confirmed case where reaching the vtec point when not yet at operating temp caused a CEL or any serious mechanical issue.

So +1 vote for buying an OBDII scanner or swinging into a local auto parts store and asking them to check your CEL code.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by S2K.Danny
It's true, VTEC will not be engaged unless you are at operating temp, plus a few other basic variables... What happens, is the vtec point is set as the fuel cut-off. Rapidly accelerating and then hitting the fuel cut-off wall will make the car jerk quite a bit. But I've never seen a confirmed case where reaching the vtec point when not yet at operating temp caused a CEL or any serious mechanical issue.

So +1 vote for buying an OBDII scanner or swinging into a local auto parts store and asking them to check your CEL code.
Thanks for all that guys

I HAVE THE CODE!: PO132

Supposedly they are unable to define the problem without digging into engine (and charging me labour!)
They can't decide if its just the sensor or the ecu!

I have a brother-in-law who does mechanics & auto-electroics who's gonna help me out.

Regardless - What are we thinking about this code?? Any thoughts??
Old 01-31-2012, 03:28 AM

P0132 0 - 1 --------------- Primary Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Sensor 1)

Sounds like the O2 sensor... makes me wonder if thats the issue with my VTEC engagement..

Quick Reply: Malfunction light after cold v-tec!?