S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Malfunction Indicator lamp on

Old 03-29-2002, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malfunction Indicator lamp on

I have just had the spoon header and exhaust fitted to my S2k, along with a set of Iridium IK22's gapped to 1.14mm. These items were fitted by my dealer yesterday and after driving around I noticed that the malfunction idicator was on.

I stopped immediately and turned off the engine. Upon restart it still remained lit. Drove home slowly (hard to do with this exhaust, gotto be heard to be believed ) and left it over night.

This morning still the same thing. I've checked the owners manual and the light refers to the cars emmision control systems and says to drive moderately untill the car can be checked by the dealer. Now here's the problem. Due to two bank holidays either side of this weekend, my dealers workshop won't be open untill Tuesday.

A search of the forum gives an explanation from UTAH that its the OBD-II diagnostic system and that if the light flashes it's bad news and not to drive the car. My light is constant at the moment.

Now, I can't believe that changing the exhaust, manifold and plugs is going to internally damange my engine and suspect it has something to do with the cat bypass messing with the OBD-II OR will my ECU try and do something stupid because it can't see the cat (guessing wildly here).

Do I:

1: Reset the ECU/Check engine light (will i lose the OBD code?)
2: Drive slowly untill Tuesday and see my dealer
3: Drive normally (9000rpm everywhere ) and see my dealer Tuesday

Thanks

Max

P.S. I checked the oil this morning and it was at the lowest indicator. Re-filled with Mobil 1 but no change to the light.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Max: I fitted the Spono manifold/exhaust on my UK S2000 with no check engine light.

Did they fit the cat bypass pipe? If they did, you either need to replace the cat, or change ECU's. The second O2 sensor that's in the cat is used to check the cat's working. If they're fitted the cat bypass pipe, then the ecu thinks the cat's broken. I'm running NGK Iriway 8 Iridiums gapped at 1.1mm so I don't think the plus are the problem.

-Brian.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:15 AM

I know another member who has the IK22's on a mostly stock S2000 and had engine misfire codes...the dealership thinks the colder plugs might be causing it.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:17 AM

I wonder if any of the sensors have been disconnected or damaged. There is an O2 sensor in the header. Could the TDC sensor at the right front of the engine have been taken off? Have they started the car without the header/sensors, got the MIL light and did not reset?

I would reset the light via the fuse or battery and see what happens, taking it easy when driving the car at first. If the light stays off, fine.

I use the colder IK24 plugs with no problem.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:53 AM

If the light is constantly on, then no you will not loose the signal. Another one will be generated. I drove mine for two weeks while I tracked the problem. I thought it was a bad install on my new header. It ended up being a bum ECU. You can drive the car unless you get a flashing MIL light. That means bad things.

What is the number of the code?
Old 03-29-2002, 08:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be anyone of several things related to the install as others have noted. Take it to a shop (not necessarily the dealer) and get the codes. They should have either a Honda PGM Scan Tool or some type of OBD-II Explorer software. Depending on the code it will provide for a rapid cause analysis:

1) Plug heat range
2) Loose plug (bad seal)
3) Damaged 02 sensor pre or post cat
4) No O2 sensor aft of cat (i.e. bypass pipe).

"In God we trust all others bring data".....

P.S. Post the codes here and we can tell you where the problem most likely is located. This will save you a repair bill.

Utah
Old 03-29-2002, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

After my original post I did a little more searching and decided to reset the ECU.

After this, the idle was a little low, 200rpms (at first thought is was going to stall at traffic lights but it never actually did) then slowly climed back to 800 -1000rpms after 20 minutes driving. No checklight .

About ten minutes after this, most of which was spirited driving the light came back .

After reading this post, I checked to see if the dealer had installed the cat bypass and they have. I think Brian and Utah (no 4) hit the nail on the head and my OBD thinks the cat is broken beacause of the bypass.

Next question:

Do I replace the cat or live with the malfunction indicator. If the latter, will this cause any further problems.

Thanks again guys.

Max
Old 03-29-2002, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Mad Max

Do I replace the cat or live with the malfunction indicator. If the latter, will this cause any further problems.

There has to be a way around it. If you live with the MIL light, you will not know when you receive different warnings.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Mad Max
Next question:
The ECU will keep running in backup mode, robbing you power if you leave the cat bypass pipe in there. You could change ECU to one that turns a blind eye to the bypass pipe, but that's not cheap. For example a Spoon ecu (ignoring the fact your not road legal in the UK without the cat... ). As to damage, you might damage the secondary O2 sensor. I don't know how much they cost.

Fitting the cat back in place shouldn't be too expensive. The gasket for the header/cat joint is a quite a bit (
Old 03-29-2002, 09:36 AM

to solve this problem, then just put it back to stock.

Quick Reply: Malfunction Indicator lamp on