S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Malfunction indicator came on

Old 06-02-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malfunction indicator came on

All,

I have a 2002 S2000, which I bought recently (pre-owned) from a dealer.

Its been less than 3 months, and the malfunction indicator has come on.

Have gone through the manual, and did all the things it asked for:
1. Checked the fuel tank cap
2. Went for 3 small rides, in 3 days, so as to warm up the engine and cool it down.

Just topped off the engine oil.

But the light does not budge.

Before I go to the dealer with this problem, I would like to hear from you all, if you have had any such experience. I'd hate to go to the dealer, as I have not bought the extended warranty on the car. It is still within the basic 6K/6month warranty that the dealer included when I bought the car.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:52 AM

All,

After reading through numerous posts on this issue, have a couple more questions:

1. Where can I buy Honda PGM Tester? And how much does it cost (approx.) ?
2. Where can I get a list of the ECU codes for 2002 S2000 (although I doubt they will change from year to year)?
3. Since the car is within the basic 6K/6month warranty, do you recommend going to the dealer instead of buying the tester? I may be able to get it checked for free that way. Just a little worried that the dealer may try to rip me off if I go there without proper research.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:58 AM

Dealer, better to not void a basic purchase warranty by trying to fix it yourself. BUT, make sure they give you the code, better yet, watch them pull the code and write it down yourself and post it here so we can validate what they did to fix it. Xviper is very good with codes and such. It may be something incredibly simple, or it may be something much, much worse.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:03 AM

if its under warranty then definately take it to the dealer and have them do everything for free. They cant charge you for stuff that is covered by warranty and if its not, they cant charge you without letting you know what they are going to do before hand.

in general though the check engine light will not go away till it has been reset.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_fan,Jun 2 2005, 09:52 AM
All,

After reading through numerous posts on this issue, have a couple more questions:

1. Where can I buy Honda PGM Tester? And how much does it cost (approx.) ?
2. Where can I get a list of the ECU codes for 2002 S2000 (although I doubt they will change from year to year)?
3. Since the car is within the basic 6K/6month warranty, do you recommend going to the dealer instead of buying the tester? I may be able to get it checked for free that way. Just a little worried that the dealer may try to rip me off if I go there without proper research.

Thanks!
1. You can't. They cost thousands of dollars and only dealers can get them. But you can get a ODBII tester from AutoZone, PepBoys, etc for about 100 or so. Also AutoZone will pull the code for you at no charge. They have for me in the past.

2. They are standard for the most part from what I understand. it is part of the ODBII standard.

3. By all means, they should check it for free. Also they shoudl fix it too.

Now time for my question

1. It is a CEL or a MIL?

CEL = Check Engine Light
MIL= Maintainace Indication Light
Old 06-02-2005, 09:05 AM

Thanks for all the responses.

Posting an image of the indicator that came on:

Sample MIL images.

Bottom right corner.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

We were not looking for a Generic example. We know what they look like, I was asking you to review what you see on your dash. There has been a number of posts that said "Hey I have a Check Engine Light" But is was a Maintainace Indication Light. The Maintance light must be shut off manually and is just a reminder to have your car serviced. Where the CEL means you need to pull the code and have the dealer fix it.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,Jun 2 2005, 09:05 AM
1. It is a CEL or a MIL?

CEL = Check Engine Light
MIL= Maintainace Indication Light
It's both ....................
Check Engine Light or Malfunction Indicator Light.

It's a "MAINT R'QUIRED" light (different from the above).
Old 06-02-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_fan,Jun 2 2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

Posting an image of the indicator that came on:

Sample MIL images.

Bottom right corner.

If it's this, it's the MIL or CEL. Different manufacturers call it be a different name but it's the same thing - a picture of a little engine.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by s2k_fan,Jun 2 2005, 03:28 PM
Have gone through the manual, and did all the things it asked for:
1. Checked the fuel tank cap
2. Went for 3 small rides, in 3 days, so as to warm up the engine and cool it down.
When you tighten the fuel tank cap, be sure to do so using the outer edge rather than the tab in the middle. Then see if the CEL goes away after a few drives. This has happened a few times on my '02, and it takes anywhere from 3-6 trips before the light shuts off.

You can also tighten the fuel tank cap, reset the ECU, and then see if the CEL comes back on. This is all assuming that the problem is a faulty fuel tank neck, of course.

Might also try this DIY:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229852

Since you're under warranty, though, easiest thing to do is probably to take it to the dealer. If it turns out to be a faulty fuel tank neck, I'd expect them to replace it under warranty.

Quick Reply: Malfunction indicator came on