S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Make my suspension like new?

Old 04-23-2010, 02:49 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Make my suspension like new?

I have 100k on my car and Boston roads practically tear the car apart. It doesn't feel as solid any more and more rattly. Also bumps are not absorbed as well and it feels like a 350z crashing over potholes vs the way it felt 2 1/2 years ago when I moved from Arizona with 60k on odometer.

- My springs/shocks are fine and not leaking and no cracks. Still I am sure new low mileage stock suspension from 08 s2k or some would help right?

- Bushings? How many and is it hard to do my self?

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks Guys
Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Bushings are a huge pain in the ass. I'd either buy new arms or buy arms that already have good bushings in them. There are plenty of low mileage AP2 part outs in the classifieds section.

I'd rather do a few motor swaps than install one car's worth of bushings. There's a TON of work involved with stupid bushings. I've done bushings. You don't want this.

BUT...newer bushings really do help the car feel newer. The newer shocks/springs might work as well.

Although, the rattling is probably coming from things interior plastics that have shook loose.

Also, check you tie rod ends and ball joints. They can be a major source of rattling in the suspension and can make the car feel like a meatbox.

Steering rack gears also tend to get play in them after a long time of use. If you turn the car off and kinda tug the wheel from side to side quickly, you'll most likely hear a bunch of clunking. That's steering gear play. It happens to every car. But it's either non existant or very quiet on newer steering racks.

Again, you can pretty much find all that stuff in the classifieds section.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious,Apr 23 2010, 02:59 PM
Bushings are a huge pain in the ass. I'd either buy new arms or buy arms that already have good bushings in them. There are plenty of low mileage AP2 part outs in the classifieds section.

I'd rather do a few motor swaps than install one car's worth of bushings. There's a TON of work involved with stupid bushings. I've done bushings. You don't want this.

BUT...newer bushings really do help the car feel newer. The newer shocks/springs might work as well.

Although, the rattling is probably coming from things interior plastics that have shook loose.

Also, check you tie rod ends and ball joints. They can be a major source of rattling in the suspension and can make the car feel like a meatbox.

Steering rack gears also tend to get play in them after a long time of use. If you turn the car off and kinda tug the wheel from side to side quickly, you'll most likely hear a bunch of clunking. That's steering gear play. It happens to every car. But it's either non existant or very quiet on newer steering racks.

Again, you can pretty much find all that stuff in the classifieds section.
This is really good advice.