S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Major S2000 mechanical revision

Old 10-25-2018, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Coolant should be changed after 10 years or 100,000 miles, then every 5 years or 60k miles. Check your radiator for stress cracks near the upper hose. The banjo bolt "upgrade" has caused a lot of people a lot of headaches with stripped threads, and in one case a cracked block, as well as oil starvation from the bolt backing out. I would not be so eager to do that, torque is critical and very easy to mess up. It's much easier to do with the oil pump/pick up tube removed, if you're dead set on doing the timing chain I guess it's not that much a stretch(get it chain pun).
The block is getting picked out and parts dismounted so it's not a problem at all. The mechanic's good and he has worked at Honda in the past, plus as long as you do it with the oil jets aligned and torque it with a 3/8 wrench to 12ft-lb that should be it.
He's quite experienced plus I'm providing him any information I can get so it makes both our lives easier and risk-free. He's also going to upgrade the valve retainers, so yeah with the block out it should be a pretty straightforward job. Will take time but will be properly done.
About the coolant, everything's alright. Whenever I take the car to the yearly service the mechanic does a full inspection, not just the basic "oil-filter-water/coolant" routine. I pay more but I get off the service with peace of mind and knowing exactly what should need to be replaced on that service or next year's.
After all, this is a car I've always dreamed of and want to maintain. It's a very reliable car. With the proper maintenance it's bulletproof and I intend to keep it that way.

@Seals, so far so good but I understand your point. However, as I'm gonna still order a few other stuff for the mechanical part i'm running out of budget very soon. I'll still take a look at it.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:07 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I always caution people to be careful that there efforts to prevent a problem don't inadvertently cause it.

Taking apart a healthy engine to replace parts that aren't broken might end up causing the very thing you seek to prevent. If everything isn't taken apart, and put back together, just so... The more invasive the disassembly, the more risk.

These engines are like any Honda in that they can go forever with nothing more than regular oil changes and making sure to never have a low oil event. But they are unlike any other Honda engine, and most any other production motor of any brand, in ways that can easily trip up even the most experienced mechanic. The paet looks the same as any other car, so they treat it the same. The oil filter. The engine bearings. Pistons. These parts all require special, unique knowledge and care. Does this mechanic have this specific knowledge? Just being a Honda expert is not enough. In fact, it may give a dangerous false level of confidence.

I fear you are going to pay a good chunk of money only to end up damaging your motor, and your relationship with your mechanic, beyond repair.

To summarize:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:33 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

You'll probably end up spending as much money as fixing the problem if it ever actually occurs. Seems like a waste to me.
​​​​​
Old 10-25-2018, 06:43 AM

The thing is, most of the parts I ordered need replacement, so taking the block off is easier than trying to fiddle with things on a tiny space. It's not like hes gonna disassemble the engine until the last screw.
For example: spark plugs, TCT, valve retainers and their keepers. Everything else is a bonus (timing chain since it's 17 years old and I already got it, and the AP2 banjo bolts to have the updated version)
I like to push this car to its limits once in a while and I want to take part in some drag events for some fun. When I do that, I like to have confidence and peace of mind that I've done and installed everything that was recommended, specially because I don't know in what state these parts are.
I can bet the valves are cracked and the spark plugs too burned, not sure about the rest.

I also suspect the coils are being responsible for the few misfires i've been having, but since it's quite expensive atm to order them, I'll wait for the mechanic's final word. I've spent around 1000€ already on parts, plus 1500€ on the hardtop. The service will be around 300€, so all put together there's already some good money invested.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:37 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Just getting half way down the post in this thread im already . Sometimes its better to not be OCD with this car when you are talking only 83k miles and cracking into a perfectly good running factory engine to replace timing chains and the like. I hope the head is not coming off and then compounded by mistakenly resurfacing it too. Good rule of thumb is to post thread like this before any parts are bought, not buy the parts and then post in hopes you did the right thing. The general information and vast experience pooled together on this forum is second to none. The only official mechanic id trust over the general knowledge base here to work on my s2000 is Billman.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 10-25-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by sk2_bri
I've recently ordered a spare coil to try to diagnose an intermittent misfire as well. Note that 2004-2005 coils also work in AP1s and are about half the price if you end up going that route.
Glad to know that, because the amazon "check if it fits" and hondapartsnow said they were incompatible on 2001 version. Since it's quite an expensive purchase to add to the already big budget I'm gonna put those on hold until i see the state of my current ones.

I know that s2000Junky. But most if not all the parts listed here are quite straightforward replacements, nothing really tricky that involves a maze to sort it out. And since the engine is getting opened and it's a taskful operation that costs quite some money, unless something critical happens I won't be opening that engine in the next 15 years. That's the point.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:48 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablosrouge
Glad to know that, because the amazon "check if it fits" and hondapartsnow said they were incompatible on 2001 version.

I know that s2000Junky. But most if not all the parts listed here are quite straightforward replacements, nothing really tricky that involves a maze to sort it out. And since the engine is getting opened and it's a taskful operation that costs quite some money, unless something critical happens I won't be opening that engine in the next 15 years. That's the point.
I guess my point is you likely wouldn't be opening the engine in 15 years anyway, but are asking for trouble cracking it open now to prevent problems. But I'm just echoing what others have said already I think, so nothing you don't know at this point. Either way you are spending similar money, just doing it now rather then in 15 years and hopefully you don't create problems in your quest. Nothing on your list is a must, but a couple things as long as done properly are worth doing, like the ap2 valve retainers/keepers and maybe updated banjo bolts. But that's debatable.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 10-25-2018 at 09:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Diablosrouge (10-30-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablosrouge
The thing is, most of the parts I ordered need replacement, so taking the block off is easier than trying to fiddle with things on a tiny space. It's not like hes gonna disassemble the engine until the last screw.
For example: spark plugs, TCT, valve retainers and their keepers. Everything else is a bonus (timing chain since it's 17 years old and I already got it, and the AP2 banjo bolts to have the updated version)
I like to push this car to its limits once in a while and I want to take part in some drag events for some fun. When I do that, I like to have confidence and peace of mind that I've done and installed everything that was recommended, specially because I don't know in what state these parts are.
I can bet the valves are cracked and the spark plugs too burned, not sure about the rest.

I also suspect the coils are being responsible for the few misfires i've been having, but since it's quite expensive atm to order them, I'll wait for the mechanic's final word. I've spent around 1000€ already on parts, plus 1500€ on the hardtop. The service will be around 300€, so all put together there's already some good money invested.
I see where you're coming from but allow me to put your mind at ease. I have the original S2000. It's one year older than yours so its now 18 years old and I push her hard often (my weekend car). She takes it with a smile all the way to 9200rpm (last dyno run showed her top out/fuel cut at 9267rpm! Good power output too at altitude). I take good care of my car with high quality oils front to back, etc and its been well looked after/serviced at Honda for all 130000 miles on the clock. The point? Don't be overly concerned with what you are concerned about. Apart from replacing your coil packs and valve cover gasket/tube seals, I don't see a reason to change anything else including your banjo bolts. How can you be sure that your valves are cracked? Do you mean the retainers? The only way to know for sure is to inspect them closely by removing them completely or using the dental mirror trick. Do you have reason to believe that the engine was mechanically over revved beyond 10500rpm by the previous owner?
Old 10-26-2018, 04:40 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Right. Do the plugs. Do the tct. Check the retainers, do them if they are cracked.

If the coils are bad, do them.

These are all regular maintenance things or things that need to be done if they are damaged.

Its the other things that are invasive and unnecessary. And more likely to cause problems than prevent them.

Only do the banjo bolts if you will be driving at high speeds for extended periods of time, like half an hour on the autobahn at 175 km/hr or more (you don't need them for drag racing).

There is no need to do the timing chain.

The less you can open this motor the better.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

To summarize:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
This. Very basic and important rule that applies to all things in life, especially cars and motors and MOST ESPECIALLY the Honda S2000. Violate the rule at your peril.

Quick Reply: Major S2000 mechanical revision