S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Major Fluid leak

Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Fluid leak

Need help! Driving home, came to a stop 1/4 mile from my house. started driving and noticed it wasn't wanting to idle when slowing to turn. Made it to my driveway but stalled before I could get it in the garage. Got out and noticed what looked like oil and the smell of coolant had blown out through the grill under the license plate. Under the hood, all the fluid was on the right side (drivers) around the coolant tank. no cracks in radiator or tank. the fluid felt like oil. Let the car cool and it started after several tried to get it the rest of the way into the garage. Next day looked into the radiator and foamy gunk on cap and inside. Low on coolant. was also one qt low of oil. Haven't driven it since. ANY suggestions? what happened?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:50 PM

oh, I also checked the compression. It was perfect all across. Spark plugs were like new with no odor. The car is a 2001 w/61k. The block has no leaks and driven once a week(yes, a garage queen). It did stat right up the next morning just like always. The fluid in the overflow tank started rising after 5-10 seconds, so I shut it off. It did leave a nice trail down the road to my house that still hasn't gone away.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:09 PM

drain the oil to see if the coolant is going into the oil maybe? sounds like a head gasket may have let go to me
Old 09-08-2015, 06:11 PM

that also might explain the stuff in the overflow tank. cuz if the coolant is going into the oil then the oil is probably going into the coolant too I would think
Old 09-08-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by baileyman11
that also might explain the stuff in the overflow tank. cuz if the coolant is going into the oil then the oil is probably going into the coolant too I would think

Ok, thanks. could it also be a crack in a coolant sleeve somewhere inside the block? Nothing blows out the tailpipe. is there a way to check pressure in the cooling system?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by backinten
Need help! Driving home, came to a stop 1/4 mile from my house. started driving and noticed it wasn't wanting to idle when slowing to turn. Made it to my driveway but stalled before I could get it in the garage. Got out and noticed what looked like oil and the smell of coolant had blown out through the grill under the license plate. Under the hood, all the fluid was on the right side (drivers) around the coolant tank. no cracks in radiator or tank. the fluid felt like oil. Let the car cool and it started after several tried to get it the rest of the way into the garage. Next day looked into the radiator and foamy gunk on cap and inside. Low on coolant. was also one qt low of oil. Haven't driven it since. ANY suggestions? what happened?
Sounds like a blown head gasket. Or warped head. Did the car overheat recently?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Originally Posted by backinten' timestamp='1441761918' post='23741288
Sounds like a blown head gasket. Or warped head. Did the car overheat recently?

No, actually it has never overheated. Is the PSI of the oil pushing somewhere into the coolant system? I thought blown head gaskets usually flume out white steamy smoke from the tailpipe
Old 09-08-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't always smoke if there is coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. it could be the head gasket, oil cooler or crack/warped head or block
Old 09-08-2015, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by cleenyc99
don't always smoke if there is coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. it could be the head gasket, oil cooler or crack/warped head or block
So, expensive and a lot of labor then? Great!!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by backinten
No, actually it has never overheated. Is the PSI of the oil pushing somewhere into the coolant system? I thought blown head gaskets usually flume out white steamy smoke from the tailpipe

Maybe, have the engine tested for blown head gasket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHp5E7XnbXo