S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Maintenance Required Light Flashed

Old 02-11-2007, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Required Light Flashed

I did some searching on this and didn't find anything to answer my question...

Last night I warmed up the car and got onto the highway with some enthusiastic ing, and at that point the temperature gauge was at 3 bars. After about 5 minutes of cruising at normal speed, I noticed the "Maintenance Required" light flashed, just long enough for me to see it, and then disappeared. It never came on again after that, and it probably only flashed once or twice to get my attention, and then didn't appear again. I only have about 14k miles and recently changed the oil, when I also switched to synthetic. I checked the oil level today and it reads full capacity. I just bought the car a few weeks ago, and did the oil change, MTF, and differential fluid change right after I got it.

I thought when the Maintenance Required light comes on, it stays on, to indicate required service at certain mileage intervals? Is this something I should take to get checked out or just keep an eye on?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97AClude,Feb 11 2007, 06:16 PM
I did some searching on this and didn't find anything to answer my question...
You should have searched your Owners Manual.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a question. About 5,000 miles ago... I changed my oil with Mobil 1. Today I went to do an oil change and the oil was black- not amber like it was when I originally changed it. What's wrong? Should I take it back to the dealer?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the light goes off i you hold the trip reset before turning the key to on. and the oil in my car turns black in about 15 miles after running hard.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:09 AM

The light didn't stay on, it only flashed once or twice...I'm assuming if something was going wrong it would continue flashing or just stay on until it was turned off...anyone?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:17 AM

Andy, there is a way to reset that. I had mine come on and stay on. I think it is a factory setting Honda puts on our cars. I don't remember how exactly how to remove the light but its 100% in the manual. It's something like putting the key on acc and pushing a button or 2 on the front display. Hope this helps.
J.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by JDS2KNJ,Feb 12 2007, 08:17 AM
Andy, there is a way to reset that. I had mine come on and stay on. I think it is a factory setting Honda puts on our cars. I don't remember how exactly how to remove the light but its 100% in the manual. It's something like putting the key on acc and pushing a button or 2 on the front display. Hope this helps.
J.
I know that the light comes and stays on at scheduled mileage intervals to alert the driver that there is scheduled service required, and also for an oil change....and I know about the manual shutoff to take care of it...

What happened to me was that it just flashed, and hasn't come back on since then...so I'm thinking it's just a freak occurence

Thanks for the input everyone
Old 02-12-2007, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a difference between the Maint Req light and the CEL light (ie check Engine). You might want to learn which is which, might save you a big repair bill.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by stitos2k,Feb 12 2007, 09:17 AM
There is a difference between the Maint Req light and the CEL light (ie check Engine). You might want to learn which is which, might save you a big repair bill.
Thanks, I know there are two different lights. I've only mentioned the Maintenance Required light in this thread, which is what I saw.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RTFM!
The manual describes when it flashes and when it stays on. There are tons of other useful tidbits of knowledge in the owner's manual.. I suggest reading it once from cover-to-cover. It shouldn't take more than a half-hour of your time.

Also, because I love this smiley, I'm gonna whore it out again:

^ That's for the procedure on turning the light off.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Required Light Flashed