S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

"Maintenance Required" light

Old 01-01-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Maintenance Required" light

Hi,

I bought an '02 S2K with 43k miles on it a few months ago. The odometer now reads 50k miles and the "Maintenance Required Light" (MRL) came on.

According to the "Check Engine Light" (CEL) forum, the MRL light signals that only an engine oil change is needed? Is this true or are there other things that need to be serviced at this interval?

If just an oil change is needed, is this something that I -- as a fairly competent DIYer -- can do or should I take it to a repair shop specializing in Honda's OR should I trust my baby to those mainstream places like Jiffy Lube?

Please advise.

Thanks!

David415
Old 01-01-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its programmed to come on every 7500 miles or so. Just check the fluids and the basic stuff.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by David415,Jan 1 2010, 06:04 PM
If just an oil change is needed, is this something that I -- as a fairly competent DIYer -- can do or should I take it to a repair shop specializing in Honda's OR should I trust my baby to those mainstream places like Jiffy Lube?

Please advise.

Thanks!

David415
You're a fairly competent DIY'er but you have to ask about an oil change?

I have no idea whether this is within your capabilities or not. I don't know if you can walk and chew gum at the same time... ;-)

FYI: the owners manual has the maintenance schedule in it.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Maintenance Light is an oil change (service) reminder...you can turn it off.

Change the oil yourself or go to a dealership, I always avoid the Jiffy Lube and "mainstream' places.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:41 PM

OP, there's nothing unusual about an oil/filter change on an S2000. if you've done it on other cars you can do it on this one. You will have to jack it up a bit to access the drain plug (don't forget to use a jack stand), but an oil/filter change is only a 20 minute operation. Just use a good quality synthetic motor oil and you'll be good to go.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=RedY2KS2k,Jan 1 2010, 06:25 PM]You're a fairly competent DIY'er but you have to ask about an oil change?

I have no idea whether this is within your capabilities or not. I don't know if you can walk and chew gum at the same time...
Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 PM

leave the damn light on until that bulb burns out, it's the most annoying change your oil reminder, twice a year i have to search the owner manual to remember exactly how to turn the light off...
Old 01-02-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David415,Jan 1 2010, 03:04 PM
According to the "Check Engine Light" (CEL) forum, the MRL light signals that only an engine oil change is needed? Is this true or are there other things that need to be serviced at this interval?
I can't recall off the top of my head what the 50K service is. If your manual doesn't explain (or you don't have one) then the Owner Link site has a maintenance schedule:
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com

Originally Posted by David415,Jan 1 2010, 03:04 PM
Personally, I'd never use Jiffy Lube but that's your judgment call to make. We're lucky enough in the Houston area to have a very good shop that many S's go to though I do my own oil changes.

There's nothing unique about changing the oil on the S. You can make it a bit easier on yourself with things like a CAI (removes the stock airbox and you can get to the oil filter from above), Fumoto oil valve (if you're so inclined to use them), Mityvac fluid extractor, etc.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:05 PM

I hate to bring it up some more but I just took my car, 2001, into SoS, they do a FANTASTIC job, about 1,000 miles ago. My car is now on 39k give or take a few mail. I had the oil changed, diff changed, and clutch fluid flushed and changed. The maint required light was on when I took the car in and when I got it back it was off. After gunning it a little bit on the freeway one day, the light started to blink, as if it was coming up to the "next" change. Do you guys have any idea on what might be going on? Or did the reset for the light not get tripped when I brought it in? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=JPoon,Mar 4 2010, 08:05 PM] I hate to bring it up some more but I just took my car, 2001, into SoS, they do a FANTASTIC job, about 1,000 miles ago.

Quick Reply: "Maintenance Required" light