S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

maintenance intervals

Old 06-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance intervals

1. I wanted some verification for some maintenance since I'm going to Cinci for a Tech Day, and I was going to do fluids, but.....I checked my maintenance book, and I think I've gotten ahead of myself. I have an 04 with 44k miles on it now; I bought in April of 2010, and I have changed out the tranny every year using Honda MTF, then Penzoil Synchromesh, then Amsoil. Also changed out the diff, every year using Mobil, I think, the first year, and Amsoil twice. I have changed oil twice/yr. or about every 4-6k miles, using Mobil one, until the last time, and I switched to Amsoil.
2. Oil change: last done before winter, Nov. 2012, only 3k miles ago, and I used Amsoil's best 25k miles oil, seems like I should wait till this time next year, or at least wait until before the snows come and change it during my Thanksgiving break, that way I'd have about 8-9k miles on it. When I change it I'll be using the same Amsoil best stuff, using 5-30 instead of 10-30 since I drive throught the winter.
3. Tranny and Diff.: last done about a year ago, May 2012, 8k miles ago (showing I put only about 8k miles on it last year). I used Amsoil's Synchomesh for the tranny, and the 75-90 for the diff. Seems like I should wait and do this next year when I'll have about 16k miles on the fluids, instead of so little. Be using Amsoil 75-110 severe gear next time in the diff. b/c I have it left over from buying an extra from hardtopguy.
4. Clutch and brake: I had both of these fluids flushed/drained out by Honda on June 2011, 2 yrs. ago; I used the Honda Dot 3, which, for me, the stock issue is probably sufficient. I know if you switch to the Dot 4 or 5 synthetics, you have to be careful to get all the old Dot 3 out, b/c they don't play well with each other. (just repeating what I've read; I'm not a mechanic)
5. I average 11-12k miles/yr, but last year I didn't travel with it as much in the summer (b/c noone would invite me to their drives), and only put 8k miles on it. Yes, I think I'm funny!
6. I know maintenance intervals are all over the place. When I read about someone changing out their tranny and diff. at 60k miles, I nearly stop breathing, but some so it every year, which also seems excessive for a car. I treat this like it's special, though, my Corolla only gets fluids changed out every 50k miles.
7. I know that changing out fluids every year is purely preventative b/c every 2 yrs. would probably be fine, especially using good quality fluids like Amsoil is supposed to be (no, I'm not a dealer, or married to one, or have friends that are). So, I intended to extend my every year intervals to every 2 yrs. anyway, with using Amsoil. It does seem like me changing them out now with so few miles on the fluids, would be overkill.
8. I don't mind spending the money if I thought I was not wasting it; but once I get focused on something I know I can get carried away, I love to throw $ at car maintenance for insurance, meaning, it won't break down b/c I was nice to it.
9. I probably will go to the Tech Day anyway, even if I don't get anything but an rear axle torque done.
10. With only 44k miles, is a shifter regrease a little early?
11. And, yes, I bought a cabin filter and engine filter incase I need those, replaced them both by hardtopguy when he was putting a hardtop on my 04 in my garage during my 1st winter; radiator flush done by Honda summers ago.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do 2 oil changes a year, about every 6-8k miles. I do the transmission fluid and differential fluid once a year as well, every 10k-12k miles. I do the clutch fluid and brake fluid once every 1.5 years or so (15k-20k miles), just to keep it fresh. It might be overkill, but it isn't overly expensive if you do it yourself.

I'm actually due for a coolant change but I'll probably try to take that to Honda to do. Just need to read up on it and make sure I can verify they do it right.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
I do 2 oil changes a year, about every 6-8k miles. I do the transmission fluid and differential fluid once a year as well, every 10k-12k miles. I do the clutch fluid and brake fluid once every 1.5 years or so (15k-20k miles), just to keep it fresh. It might be overkill, but it isn't overly expensive if you do it yourself.

I'm actually due for a coolant change but I'll probably try to take that to Honda to do. Just need to read up on it and make sure I can verify they do it right.
1. Sounds like exactly what I have done the past 3 yrs.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good to me. Shifter re-grease.. I've never done it in 181k miles, so.. only needed if it doesn't feel smooth. Mine is like butter.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:11 PM

I change my S2000's engine oil once per year using German Castrol 0W-30 (the green coloured synthetic) which both the S2000 and my BMW seems to love (my BMW hated Mobil1 0W-40 and the Vanos was quite noisy with the Mobil1 oil). The other synthetic oil I would use is Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum in 10W-30. All of the other family Honda's use Pennzoil synthetic 0W-20 oil (mostly Platinum). I did my 1st transmission fluid change in 2009 at 6,000 miles and the second change last weekend at 11,200 miles. Both times I used the Honda MTF fluid which is a mineral based product which I'm thinking of replacing next time with Pentosin MTF2 synthetic. This won't be for a couple more years as I don't drive this car in the winter. For the differential I changed the mineral oil which Honda uses as the factory OEM fluid replacing it with Mobil1 75W-90 (synthetic).
Old 06-14-2013, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I change all my cars oil(Amsoil 0w30),oil filter(Wix),brake & clutch fluid(Dot4) every 4-5k.Trans & diff every spring.Coolant every other year.

Fluids are cheap...hard parts are not.

\rlr
Carolina