S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Maintenance...

Old 03-22-2006, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Popeye,Mar 22 2006, 04:25 AM
They rotate your tires and flush the muffler bearings with new shitzoo grease. Then they lighten your car by removing money from your wallet
Old 03-22-2006, 09:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Mar 22 2006, 10:35 AM
Considering you could have done all the above work yourself for about $35, I don't consider that a "good deal". but to each his own.
Consider this:

1. I did all my own fluid changes (with the exception of motor oil) for the diff and tranny.
2. My warranty was expiring 3 weeks after bringing the car in and I wanted it looked over.
3. I don't do brakes. No one ever showed me how or what to look for.
4. This was the only time I paid to have someone to a "service" on the car since it was purchased. I do know how to check fluid levels, tire wear, replace batteries, filters and windshield wipers.

and this:

Honda replaced my 3-year old headlight housings with new ones.

Still I don't see how a new air filter, oil filter and misc parts would come out to $35, let alone including labor in all of it. I'm not including the fluids either. Fluids (synthetic) alone are $35, but that wasn't included in my total above.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

diff fluid = $8
oil filter = $6
engine oil = $9 (non synthetic havoline GF4) However, you supplied your own oil, synthetic, which you said was about $35.

air filter = $25

So, 8 + 6 + 35 + 25 = $74 if you DIY.

as for:

"Brakes checked and calipers regreased" I've never heard of "greasing" calipers. So, this really did nothing. And, FYI, a dealership will often check your brakes for you for free.

"Clutch and parking brake adjustments" ??? What "clutch" adjustment are they making? And parking brake adjustment? I've never seen an S2000 that needed a parking brake adjusted from just normal wear and tear/useage....

"Honda replaced my 3-year old headlight housings with new ones." So they would have done this anyways, as you said it was a warranty issue...
Also, if you're warranty is about to expire, most dealerships will also give the car a "once over" if you want to check for anything that may need fixing, rather than paying them in a package "30k mile service" deal to do it.

So you actually paid, $120 + $35 + $8, since you supplied the fluids yourself.

So $163 vs $74. I guess if it's worth it to you to have someone do it for you for about $100 rather than do it yourself and save the $100, then so be it. I'm just saying I wouldn't, and was offering information to the OP about where he could find the info on doing it himself and saving some money. I'm not chastizing you for it, as to each their own.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Mar 22 2006, 02:24 PM
"Brakes checked and calipers regreased" I've never heard of "greasing" calipers. So, this really did nothing.
I could be way off on this, but in my experience greasing the caliper slides is an important step in any brake job. I'd be surprised if the dealer actually does this as part of their typical maintenance, but I guess anything is possible.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=elmmx5,Mar 22 2006, 01:48 PM] I could be way off on this, but in my experience greasing the caliper slides is an important step in any brake job.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:54 AM

I'd personally never go through the trouble unless I was changing the pads. No, re-greasing things isn't absolutely necessary, but I always do it anyway while I have things apart. I'd rather be thorough than deal with a frozen caliper later.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by elmmx5,Mar 22 2006, 02:54 PM
I'd personally never go through the trouble unless I was changing the pads. No, re-greasing things isn't absolutely necessary, but I always do it anyway while I have things apart. I'd rather be thorough than deal with a frozen caliper later.
check out the DIY I posted. it's not necessary to grease them, other than for anti-squeaking. on the S2k, if you don't grease the calipers when you change your pads or do maintenance, they will not "freeze up".
Old 03-22-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Mar 22 2006, 04:06 PM
check out the DIY I posted. it's not necessary to grease them, other than for anti-squeaking. on the S2k, if you don't grease the calipers when you change your pads or do maintenance, they will not "freeze up".
Yup, you got me... frozen brake calipers are a figment of my imagination. I wish I knew that when I've had to deal with them.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=elmmx5,Mar 22 2006, 03:15 PM] Yup, you got me... frozen brake calipers are a figment of my imagination.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well there's new silver grease that I can plainly see on the calipers. It wasn't there before - well it was, but it wasn't silver anymore.

Also: If I wanted to have the car inspected by the dealer for warranty issues, I need to pay for it. That's their rules. Might as well have them do the fluids on the car while they are at it. Let me clarify the "warranty issues": I not only wanted them to see about the headlights, I wanted them to have the car up on the rack, looking for leaks or other obvious or not-so-obvious signs of trouble. The dealer has no problem at all when you ask them to "let me know if you see anything that needs taken care of" - you can bet they'll look, and look well $$$.

I don't think the parking brake was tweaked much (if at all). My clutch was adjusted. I noticed that right away when I got in the car - the grab point was different.

Quick Reply: Maintenance...