S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Main and rod bearing sizes for new bottom end

Old 01-25-2021, 08:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Main and rod bearing sizes for new bottom end

Hi all,

I spun a rod bearing and am in the process of rebuilding my engine. I've bought a new Honda crank and rods and was wondering, for these new items, do they come with factory marked codes? I'm referencing pg 7-7 to 7-9 of the service manual and it seems like there must be a combination of the following codes to get the correct sized main and rod bearings:
  • Crankshaft bore codes - stamped on the engine block itself (found them, CBBCB)
  • Crankshaft main journal codes - found on No. 1 web, bottom row (will it be on new cranks?)
  • Connecting rod big end bore code - found on the rods themselves (will it be on new rods?)
  • Connecting rod journal codes - found on No. 1 web, top row (will it be on new cranks?)

Or would actual, physical measurements need to be taken?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-26-2021, 05:52 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fnee
Hi all,

I spun a rod bearing and am in the process of rebuilding my engine. I've bought a new Honda crank and rods and was wondering, for these new items, do they come with factory marked codes? I'm referencing pg 7-7 to 7-9 of the service manual and it seems like there must be a combination of the following codes to get the correct sized main and rod bearings:
  • Crankshaft bore codes - stamped on the engine block itself (found them, CBBCB)
  • Crankshaft main journal codes - found on No. 1 web, bottom row (will it be on new cranks?)
  • Connecting rod big end bore code - found on the rods themselves (will it be on new rods?)
  • Connecting rod journal codes - found on No. 1 web, top row (will it be on new cranks?)

Or would actual, physical measurements need to be taken?

Thanks guys!
There will be 5 numbers on the crankshaft itself those are the main journals.
The 4 letters are the rod journals.
Each rod will have a number.
Take the 5 letters from the block and 5 numbers from the crank to select main bearing colors.
Take the 4 numbers from the rod and 4 letters from the crank to select con rod bearing colors.
I would think if using new oem crank and rod then you could select the bearings as per the manual.
If anything is used they should be measured.

Last edited by jaymz; 01-26-2021 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by jaymz
There will be 5 numbers on the crankshaft itself those are the main journals.
The 4 letters are the rod journals.
Each rod will have a number.
Take the 5 letters from the block and 5 numbers from the crank to select main bearing colors.
Take the 4 numbers from the rod and 4 letters from the crank to select con rod bearing colors.
I would think if using new oem crank and rod then you could select the bearings as per the manual.
If anything is used they should be measured.
Yes, I understand the part where you cross ref the different sets of letters/numbers to get the correct colored bearing. Lower block is used, crank is new, rods are new.

What I was wondering is, would new OEM cranks and rods also have these letters/numbers stamped into them? Or is this stamping only done at the factory when the technicians select the correctly sized bearings while assemble a new engine.

I've tried looking high and low for images of new F22 cranks and I couldn't find any that show these two rows of information on the first crank web.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:59 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Yes, I understand the part where you cross ref the different sets of letters/numbers to get the correct colored bearing. Lower block is used, crank is new, rods are new.

What I was wondering is, would new OEM cranks and rods also have these letters/numbers stamped into them? Or is this stamping only done at the factory when the technicians select the correctly sized bearings while assemble a new engine.

I've tried looking high and low for images of new F22 cranks and I couldn't find any that show these two rows of information on the first crank web.
You'll know for sure when you get them. When the manual specifies 2 bearing colors get both, one bearing color for the upper half and the other for the lower half.
The factory crankshaft is straighter than the line bore on the block, so the different thicknesses are meant to correct that manufacturing tolerance. The codes are meant for new parts.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:45 PM

The current cranks and rods we receive at the plant are already measured at time of manufacture.
I work at the engine plant in Ontario, Canada and cranks and and rods are manufactured elsewhere.
So for assembly all relevant parts have been measured and stamped or laser etched long before we see them.
Our associates on line just scan the 2D barcodes on the block and the crank and rods and the computer tells them which bearing to install and where.
The stamped numbers on the lower block are stamped here in our machining dept after line bore and measured.
The following 2 users liked this post by jaymz:
fnee (01-26-2021), Slowcrash_101 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 02:53 PM

This is the sheet we use for manually selecting bearings. If we change a crank or rod or block etc.
It is not for the F20C it is for current gen 2.0L so bearing colors may differ.
But it helps to be more clear about where to place the bearings when you have more than one color for any given journal.
You'll need to order the correct main bearings based on lower and upper.
Lower bearings are smooth and upper bearings have a groove for oil flow.
Rod bearings are the same for rod or cap.

The following 3 users liked this post by jaymz:
fnee (01-26-2021), Slowcrash_101 (01-26-2021), zze86 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by jaymz
The current cranks and rods we receive at the plant are already measured at time of manufacture.
I work at the engine plant in Ontario, Canada and cranks and and rods are manufactured elsewhere.
So for assembly all relevant parts have been measured and stamped or laser etched long before we see them.
Our associates on line just scan the 2D barcodes on the block and the crank and rods and the computer tells them which bearing to install and where.
The stamped numbers on the lower block are stamped here in our machining dept after line bore and measured.
this is some very useful information. appreciate it!
The following users liked this post:
jaymz (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 04:24 PM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

I just love @jaymz 's insider posts. Always so helpful to hear what goes on in the assembly plants even if they're not building the s2k.
jaymz (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 07:49 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I hope this rebuild works out for OP
fnee (01-26-2021)