S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Machine shops to rebuild AP1 Cylinder Head

Old 08-16-2024, 07:38 AM

Received 1,375 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
FSM?

The Service Manual (SM) is here. Download it but only print what you need as it's about 1,000 pages.

-- Chuck
F stands for Factory

Service manuals can be sourced from aftermarket companies too. Think of the Haynes manuals you find at Autozones for Accords. I've found those to have glaring errors.

I'm recommending using the Honda (Factory) Service Manual in order to keep with the succinct and detail oriented message.

Last edited by B serious; 08-16-2024 at 07:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by B serious:
.Boston. (08-20-2024), Chuck S (08-16-2024), Save the Manual Wagons! (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your information. I will not be the one pulling the car apart and came to this forum to find the best place to send it to get the head inspected. Also, it seems I should seek a shop that has experience with S2000 to disassemble and replace the head gasket. Is there a list anywhere of the machine shops and mechanics that are know for the S2000 expertise? I have seen some mentioned in the forums, but they seem to mostly be all second hand and not personally used.
Old 08-16-2024, 12:08 PM

I am in Ft. Myers, FL and have recommendations for LHT Performance in St. Pete / Pinellas Park and I have seen Real Street Performance listed in Sanford / Orlando. These are coming from sources that hear "good things" and not necessarily from people who have experience with them and their S2000. The problem I am having with either place is that they have little to no online presence and will have to travel to either or both locations to make a choice and its 2 hours for one and 3 for the other. I was hoping to find someone who has actually used a shop for their S2000 to better help choosing where to go and who to use. I have no qualms about transporting my car to a shop or shipping the cylinder head out of state to have it inspected; I have read enough to know that my car must be handled by an expert or risk damaging the engine. I thank all of you so far for your input and look forward to more info.
Old 08-16-2024, 12:24 PM

Received 1,229 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Service Manual:

-- Chuck
Old 08-16-2024, 12:26 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlStuBird
I am in Ft. Myers, FL and have recommendations for LHT Performance in St. Pete / Pinellas Park and I have seen Real Street Performance listed in Sanford / Orlando. These are coming from sources that hear "good things" and not necessarily from people who have experience with them and their S2000. The problem I am having with either place is that they have little to no online presence and will have to travel to either or both locations to make a choice and its 2 hours for one and 3 for the other. I was hoping to find someone who has actually used a shop for their S2000 to better help choosing where to go and who to use. I have no qualms about transporting my car to a shop or shipping the cylinder head out of state to have it inspected; I have read enough to know that my car must be handled by an expert or risk damaging the engine. I thank all of you so far for your input and look forward to more info.
Regarding online presence, LHT has a huge YouTube video library of the kind of work they do. https://www.youtube.com/@LHTPerformance/videos

Lacking first-hand experience, I think a phone call or e-mail to each shop with a few pointed questions should be sufficient to determine whether you want to use them.

There are some very active S2000 Facebook groups. You might get more shop recommendations there, especially if you can find a local group.
Old 08-16-2024, 12:43 PM

Received 1,229 Likes on 1,073 Posts

@AtlStuBird you (and we) are making a lot of assumptions here. You haven't diagnosed any damage yet are considering a high risk machining of the cylinder head based on a blown head gasket. @B serious notes if it's just the heat gasket replace it. From all their YouTube videos I don't get the impression LHT has the ability or tools to rebuild a S2000 cylinder head -- it seems they send these out for any work that requires machining.

This is not an LS engine which "anyone" can rebuild and for which there are many parts.

-- Chuck
Old 08-16-2024, 03:35 PM

Yeah, drop it off at LHT. They'll let you know what's needed and I'm sure they have a machine shop they use.

Just use them as a one stop shop.

Good luck with the fix!
Old 08-17-2024, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Yeah, drop it off at LHT. They'll let you know what's needed and I'm sure they have a machine shop they use.

Just use them as a one stop shop.

Good luck with the fix!
I was planning to visit LHT personally as the place to start. I expect that if they are as active with the S2000 as their social media uploads purport they are the closest place to me that can do the job right. I would suspect, but will obviously check about who does their machining.
Old 08-17-2024, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
@AtlStuBird you (and we) are making a lot of assumptions here. You haven't diagnosed any damage yet are considering a high risk machining of the cylinder head based on a blown head gasket. @B serious notes if it's just the heat gasket replace it. From all their YouTube videos I don't get the impression LHT has the ability or tools to rebuild a S2000 cylinder head -- it seems they send these out for any work that requires machining.

This is not an LS engine which "anyone" can rebuild and for which there are many parts.

-- Chuck
I get it now from all the info to do as little as possible to get the car running again. I would suspect that the valves would get adjusted and a new timing chain installed. Would there be "any" parts that one might replace on the head as a precaution or because some are have been worn to much?
Old 08-17-2024, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by AtlStuBird
I get it now from all the info to do as little as possible to get the car running again. I would suspect that the valves would get adjusted and a new timing chain installed. Would there be "any" parts that one might replace on the head as a precaution or because some are have been worn to much?

Valve seals are a good thing to replace if the head is gonna be off.

You probably also want them to replace your coolant hoses and thermostat while the intake manifold is off.

Water pump, since yours presumably ran dry.

Since the coolant is out, probably a good opportunity to swap to an aluminum Koyo radiator.

Since you have an AP1, get AP2 valve retainers.

Valve cover gasket and grommets.

I typically check for any broken clips, chafed wire looms, fluid spills, etc and advise as needed.

Otherwise the "while you're in there" really depends on what you need to do in the first place.

You want the shop to tell you the *reason* why your car overheated and blew the HG (unless you already know it). And obviously, that has to be fixed as well.

No, a new timing chain isn't a sure thing. If you do replace the chain, you *need* to replace all the sprockets. And you should replace the chain guides. And the oil pump chain. And the oil pump chain tensioner. And the oil pump chain guides. And a new TCT.

If the front cover and pan are off for the timing chain service, you probably also want them to replace your oil banjo bolts if yours are the old type.

Obviously, if the front cover is off then you want a new front main seal. And if you're not already doing a water pump, you need a water pump gasket.

Have them check the drive belt and tensioner and replace if needed. I have replaced a couple of these with the Gates kit on Rockauto and had good luck. Or buy the Honda ones if you want a 200% sure thing.

I'm sure LHT can tell you what's needed "while they're in there". Just give them the liberty to give the car a once over.

I'm sure LHT will advise you to go with genuine Honda parts...same as the advice pretty much any knowledgeable person will give you. The Billman TCT is really the only non-OEM part I'd go with. Well...that and the VTEC solenoid gasket. If they need to replace that, Honda doesn't carry it anymore...so go with Kraken.

Last edited by B serious; 08-17-2024 at 10:35 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by B serious:
Chuck S (08-17-2024), jnewtons2k (08-18-2024), Save the Manual Wagons! (08-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Machine shops to rebuild AP1 Cylinder Head