S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lug nut won't budge

Old 11-26-2007, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Lug nut won't budge

I was trying to install my new Honda wheel locks this weekend and got to a nut that won't loosen, what is the best way to do this without breaking the stud?

Old 11-26-2007, 04:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put a huge extension on your wrench and try to snap it free. I have a 4' pipe in my garage I have used in the past.

Sometimes it will break loose, sometimes it will break the stud. But either way you have to get it off.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:41 AM

I think snap it free is the key. You could always try a little penetrating oil on it a couple times, then go back at it. Don't try to get it off slowly, use a sharp motion to break the bond between the lug and stud.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Nov 26 2007, 09:41 AM
I think snap it free is the key. You could always try a little penetrating oil on it a couple times, then go back at it. Don't try to get it off slowly, use a sharp motion to break the bond between the lug and stud.

Also, remember in the future to torque the lug nuts to 80 lb-ft. They should never get stuck if they are correctly torqued. If you're getting rust on the stud threads, you may want to use a little anti-sieze compound in the future.

IMO, your best bet in removing the lug nuts is to use a pneumatic impact wrench. If you use a lug wrench, you need to make sure that you apply a torque load (pure twist) and not a lateral load or you may snap the stud.

Here's a last-resort trick: Apply penetrating oil liberally, then heat just the lug nut with a propane torch then quickly try to remove the nut. If you put the flame on the wheel, you will ruin the mylar film so you will need to mask off the wheel if you try this. By heating the lug nut, thermal expansion makes the nut slightly bigger, allowing it to free up.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:10 AM

go to a shop / a friend that has an impact wrench and see if they can take it off?

also, were you trying to do this when your car's been sitting over night or when you've been driving for a while? i found that if my wheel was warm, the lugs tend to be a bit tougher to loosen (probably heat transfer from car to stud, expanding tightly against the lugs?)
Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 AM

Thanks guys, I'll try all of the above mentioned.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hyper,Nov 26 2007, 10:10 AM
...i found that if my wheel was warm, the lugs tend to be a bit tougher to loosen (probably heat transfer from car to stud, expanding tightly against the lugs?)
This is especially true with alloy wheels. Aluminum has twice the thermal expansion coefficient of steel.

And I agree - since the studs are hotter than the lug nuts when the wheels are warm, the threads will be tighter.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would probably suggest using an impact tool... this way you have a better chance not breaking anything. If you dont have one, take it to a shop to loosen it up and just retighten after. I cant imagine them charging you much.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44,Nov 26 2007, 12:27 PM
This is especially true with alloy wheels. Aluminum has twice the thermal expansion coefficient of steel.

And I agree - since the studs are hotter than the lug nuts when the wheels are warm, the threads will be tighter.
Excellent (scientific) response

I wouldn't have been able to put that together as I forgot all that science stuff when I left high school (and I'm not in the materials engineering industry).
Old 11-26-2007, 03:47 PM

take it to the dealer and ask them to do it. it's such a minor job that i'm 99.998% sure that it'll be a free-be that takes no longer then 30 minutes on a busy day.
too many people under estimate the generosity of a dealer service department.

Quick Reply: Lug nut won't budge