S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer For Tranny and Motor

Old 06-03-2005, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lucas Oil Stabilizer For Tranny and Motor

When ever I go to an auto parts store like Pep Boys Or Kragen I always seem to see a Lucas Oil Stabilizer example stand, if you want to call it that...

It's a clear box that has two sides with three gears on each side, one regular oil and the other, oil with Lucas Oil Stabilizer

On each side there is one gear with a crank that you turn that is connected to the other gears on each side, it is also the only gear touching the little oil in the box, the others are in dry air

when you crank the gears you can see how the oil is being transferred from one gear to the next the Stabilizer makes the oil look much stickier and the gears look more lubricated

I've never heard of anyone with a S2K using this product and am not willing to be a guiny pig, basically I was wondering if its good or bad?

My apologies for the long explanation if you already know what I'm talking about!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:30 PM

i've used it on my f20c for awhile, and when i checked my compression it was 240-245 psi along all 4 cylinders. besides the good results, the oil stabalizer really felt good. its worth a try imo.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:55 PM

Do you have anything bad to say about the stabilizer cuz I wasn't sure?

And did you use it for your trans too?
Old 06-04-2005, 05:52 AM

I have seen those stands too... when I bring my other car to the oil change place they have one there.

I too would like to know if the Lucas oil stabilizer is a good or bad thing to use in the S. It looks really good in the display.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CwestinAP1,Jun 4 2005, 02:30 AM
i've used it on my f20c for awhile, and when i checked my compression it was 240-245 psi along all 4 cylinders. besides the good results, the oil stabalizer really felt good. its worth a try imo.
Ive never used any additives in my engine and i have 245psi across the board. If your engine is running good why risk it? Honda does not reccomend any types of oil additives to be used in any of their cars so it can do more damage then good. Waste of money IMO.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tugz_S2K,Jun 4 2005, 07:51 AM
Ive never used any additives in my engine and i have 245psi across the board. If your engine is running good why risk it?
EXACTLY! Lots of cars that DON'T use any additives come up with strong numbers like this. Just because you get such numbers with additives tells you nothing.
Remember those Duralube commercials with the loaded bearing demos? They put a swab of product on the bearing with a Q-tip and then see how long before the bearing starts to wear? Well, they found that whole demo to be a load of crap. Didn't prove a thing except that it sold millions of bottles of Duralube for them.

You'll get better a feeling if you took the money that these products cost and sent it to charity. Better yet, take a pinch of salt between your thumb and forefinger, hold it under your butt, fart and then throw it over your left shoulder. You'll find that your car will run extra well, at left till you find better salt or learn to fart harder.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:00 AM

What about the trans? The gears pretty much just bathe in the oil and using the stabilizer seems like a good idea for it...

I have the V-Tech Club, Best Motoring Video and Spoon's Ichi san was talking about how the trans takes more abuse than the motor and said that you should change trans oil when you change motor oil...

Would anyone know about that?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by TougeBomber,Jun 4 2005, 10:00 AM
What about the trans? The gears pretty much just bathe in the oil and using the stabilizer seems like a good idea for it...

I have the V-Tech Club, Best Motoring Video and Spoon's Ichi san was talking about how the trans takes more abuse than the motor and said that you should change trans oil when you change motor oil...

Would anyone know about that?
The tranny is not just a simple matter of "bathing" in the fluid. Our tranny actually has a pump that pulls the fluid from near the bottom and shoves it back in elsewhere. Although I change my tranny fluid once a year (and this is overkill IMO), many S2000s can go many years on the same fluid.
Where you might consider more frequent changes of fluid is our rear diffs. This fluid does indeed start off "bathing" in the juice but then, that fluid is so much thicker, it will "climb" the gears all on its own. No need for additives there either.

You seem bound and determined to buy this stuff. I don't believe it will do any harm (but I'm not guaranteeing this), so go ahead and use it. If spending the money makes you feel like you did something good for your car, that mental impression alone may be worth it to you. For me, I've got a whole box of salt and I can fart all day.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jun 4 2005, 11:02 AM
For me, I've got a whole box of salt and I can fart all day.

You might want to take a look at this article. Personally, I'd think twice about using it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

-sam
Old 06-04-2005, 12:38 PM

Sam, that link is just GREAT! I love it when shady products get "exposed".

Quick Reply: Lucas Oil Stabilizer For Tranny and Motor