S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lubrication Engineers oil info

Old 02-20-2004, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One man's hardcore is another's thorough (or Thoreau?). As the VP told me the other day when we were discussing our new aerosol design, "I'll bet you (me) don't take a dump without a plan"? How could he possibly have known that i indeed have a signin/signout sheet, and can do real "gas" chromotography in there?
Old 02-20-2004, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Road Rage
As the VP told me the other day when we were discussing our new aerosol design, "I'll bet you (me) don't take a dump without a plan"? How could he possibly have known that i indeed have a signin/signout sheet, and can do real "gas" chromotography in there?
yes, but something tells me your shits always go smoothly. gives new meaning to the phrase "anal retentive."
Old 02-20-2004, 02:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tritium_pie
Old 02-20-2004, 02:30 PM

Old 02-21-2004, 11:36 AM

I took the 10w30 down to 0degF, and it flowed fine. It is crystal clear - compared to some Valvolime MaxLife I had in the lab which looked cloudier.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:45 AM

Hmmm very tempting, I'm eager to see what else you come up with
Old 02-28-2004, 08:46 PM

On LE's site under the tips section they have the following:

Store lubricants so that you use the first in (oldest), first out method (FIFO). This assures that you use fresh lubricants that have not been in storage for long periods of time. Stock rotation is part of a proactive maintenance program.
So if I buy a case of it good for 4.7 oil chanes and I change my oil every 5,000 miles and average about 10,000 miles a year that means the oil will last me 2 years.

What is the typical shelf life of oil?

What is the shelf life of LE's oil? They make it sound like it should not sit on the shelf for very long.

I have some Mobil1 that has been sitting in my cabinet for almost two years. Is it bad now?

Thanks,
John
Old 02-29-2004, 01:54 PM

They will have a long shelf live - easily more than 2 years. The real point is that you want to rotate your stock to ensure that as the oils are upgraded and improved, you do not end up with "dead inventory". This practice is common SOP for fleets.

By the way, I recommend storing the oil bottles (or cases) upside down at least a few days before your use - this ensures the colloids end up in your oil pan.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:30 AM

Are there any negatives to using this oil or is this basically the best stuff out there that you can get for your engine and your rear differential?

What would you recommend for a transmission oil?

Since I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area and LE is in Fort Worth I could probably drive over there and pick it up saving myself any shipping charges.

Thanks,
John
Old 03-08-2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by JoJa15
Are there any negatives to using this oil or is this basically the best stuff out there that you can get for your engine and your rear differential?

What would you recommend for a transmission oil?

Since I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area and LE is in Fort Worth I could probably drive over there and pick it up saving myself any shipping charges.

Thanks,
John
John: I Pm'ed you earlier in the evening.

I would never cite a "best" oil, and very seldomly the best anything. I look at things as engineering exercises, and have the end in mind when beginning. One lists a set of objectives, and then there may be a "best" solution for those objectives. Best could mean best gas mileage, longest drain interval, lowest total cost of ownership, lowest wear, lowest environmental impact, reduced temperatures in a situation where the MTBF's (mean time between failures) have been troublesome, etc. I know people look for the sound bite - the quick answer - but science and the engineering disciplines do not view the world as someone like Rosie O'Donnell or Ted Koppel might. Hell, Britney Spears might like LE 607 because its color matches her anatomy.
See where I am going?

Which single-malt Scotch is the best? Ask 10 people, you get 10 answers. So what?

OK, so which is the best? Well, I am playing with LE 8130 right now and it has superb wear performance. But M1 Delvac 5w40 might be better for a power adder (I guess you call it FI in this Forum). Red Line might be better for high temp racing. Amsoil may be just the ticket for extended drains. Motul or Fuchs would be great choices as you race across Europe, and so forth.

Quick Reply: Lubrication Engineers oil info