S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lubrication Engineers oil info

Old 02-16-2004, 08:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lubrication Engineers oil info

OK. I finally got setup.

They have regional warehouses they ship out of.

The 10w30 8130 Monolec engine oil ships in 24 qt cases @ $114.34 + shipping.

The gear oil is only available in 35# pails @ $122.

You can call their toll free number and order on credit card. As they do practically no retail sales (it is a professional product) if you want to re-sell you can charge what you can get. So it comes out at just under $6/quart.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Road Rage
OK. I finally got setup.

They have regional warehouses they ship out of.

The 10w30 8130 Monolec engine oil ships in 24 qt cases @ $114.34 + shipping.

The gear oil is only available in 35# pails @ $122.

You can call their toll free number and order on credit card. As they do practically no retail sales (it is a professional product) if you want to re-sell you can charge what you can get. So it comes out at just under $6/quart.
not to shabby on the engine oil, would you say it's worth it for about 4.7 oil changes? lol and these need to be stored upside down too?
Old 02-17-2004, 04:48 PM

By the time I am ready for my first oil change you will be a grandfather.

I don't really know how to answer. I am going to do a full workup in the Lab my IT team supports - they have mass spectrometers and gas chromatographs - I will also send it off for oil analysis.

I do know that the oils are made to very tight quality standards - which the rest of the industry isn't. I am especially interested in the additives - they make or break an oil, more than anything. If they have something special, as there is evidence to suggest there is, it is certainly worth it. Look at the website for details in how it burnishes into the metal.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
By the time I am ready for my first oil change you will be a grandfather.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:19 PM

curious to see how this compares to Amsoil. subscribing to this thread.

thanks (as usual) for the tribological input, RR.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:06 PM

Here is something while you wait. The simple truth is that QC in all the major oil companies is not that good - they blend, add the extras, and out it goes - they do not do adequate QC to ensure high compliance to their product targets - just good enough. The only mag that ever printed the truth was Consumers Reports - they found numerous products from the Bigs that could not meet their viscosity rating - either they were too thin or too thick. The best was Pennzoil Turbo, which was a great mineral oil, but alas has been discontinued. Mobil 1 scored well as the only syn tested as I recall. It was pretty sad how badly some of the products sheared down - the 10w40 and 5w30 were the worst - thankfully, more shear stable VI's have been developed. But Pennzoil knew how to do it - so should have the others.

You must remember that LE does not advertise on TV, and is not found in Pep Boys - they make a huge line of tailored products for professional over the road truckers, racers, and car enthusiasts - part of what you are paying for is high quality and specifically engineered products.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:08 PM

Here is something while you wait. The simple truth is that QC in all the major oil companies is not that good - they blend, add the extras, and out it goes - they do not do adequate QC to ensure high compliance to their product targets - just good enough. The only mag that ever printed the truth was Consumers Reports - they found numerous products from the Bigs that could not meet their viscosity rating - either they were too thin or too thick. The best was Pennzoil Turbo, which was a great mineral oil, but alas has been discontinued. I bought all the remaining cases for a song from the Pennzoil product Center years ago.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:01 PM

I can't wait to see the OA.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:46 AM

JL9000:

I got my case today - I put some in a test tube and held it up to various light sources - polarized, "natural light" bulbs with blues in the typical sunlight Kelvin temp range, etc. This helps identify the purity - it looked very impressive, extremely clean.

It is now being chilled at 0degC so i can rough in a vis test.

And it is red - not a little red like Red Line, but red like ATF. I would imagine a nitwit tech going to a Honda SA and asying "Void the warranty, Festus - this here feller's done put auto tranny fluid in his injun".

As soon as I have time, I will run a UOA.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:05 PM

JL9000:

Quick Reply: Lubrication Engineers oil info