S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lowering & Sway Bars

Old 06-23-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering & Sway Bars

im throwing a set ot Tein S-Tech's on my AP1. I was thinking it would save me time if i threw on a set of tanabe 30.4mm sway bars on there while i had it on the lift. will sway bars make that much of a difference? being factory sway bars are approx 26mm, i think they would make a big difference. but people are trying to tell me otherwise.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Different sway bars could have a significant effect on the car's handling characteristics.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:51 PM

I installed swift sway bars front and rear on my ap1. On dry pavement, left hand turn at stop light, my car oversteered at 25mph and went into the curb. Took the rear bar off and put stock back on. Problem solved. Careful with the rear bar!!
Old 06-23-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by heresnowhy,Jun 23 2007, 09:51 PM
On dry pavement, left hand turn at stop light, my car oversteered at 25mph and went into the curb.
That's not the cars fault

If you think it is hard controlling a car at 25 mph, forget about 95+ mph

Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by heresnowhy,Jun 23 2007, 09:51 PM
my car oversteered at 25mph and went into the curb.
This just wouldn't happen in an S2k that had new OEM rubber all the way around.

Do you have shitty tires or something

At 45 mph, it takes 2 seconds for the weight to transfer to the side during cornering. At 90 mph, it takes half the amount of time to transfer weight that it takes to transfer at 45 mph.

So dude, if your having this problem at 25 mph, unless you have some worn rear tires, I wouldn't put all the blame on the S2k.

Mebbie you should invest in a track day

Old 06-23-2007, 10:38 PM

Without exaggeration, it did happen, on 2 week old re050's and I wasn't driving hard at all, in fact i was sipping my coffee while making the turn on my way to work, the first stop light outta my neighborhood, there is a pretty heavy bump there and normally, I would go right over it, but with the rear bar on, the car bumped and kept on going, it was very uneventful and slow, I was just kinda like wow.

In the sake of not arguing, I will not address the "track day" and implications to poor driving ability, and just leave it that a very stiff rear sway bar on an ap1 with stock size tires is not a good idea. Doubtful anyone will disagree. K? Thanks...
Old 06-23-2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by heresnowhy,Jun 23 2007, 08:51 PM
I installed swift sway bars front and rear on my ap1. On dry pavement, left hand turn at stop light, my car oversteered at 25mph and went into the curb. Took the rear bar off and put stock back on. Problem solved. Careful with the rear bar!!
should have warmed up your tires.. even tho it was at 25 mph if you make a hard enough turn or a sudden one.. it may throw your car side wayz.. than you just can take action and dRift.. hehe. RWD
Old 06-23-2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by fit4897,Jun 23 2007, 11:08 PM
im throwing a set ot Tein S-Tech's on my AP1. I was thinking it would save me time if i threw on a set of tanabe 30.4mm sway bars on there while i had it on the lift. will sway bars make that much of a difference? being factory sway bars are approx 26mm, i think they would make a big difference. but people are trying to tell me otherwise.
Sway bars can make a huge difference in the way any car handles, and you need to know which way you want to change the handling to get the right stiffness in the bar(s). Otherwise it's a bit of a crap shoot. For my car the Gendron FSB with the thin walled center section is near perfect, and has just the right range of adjustment, but you have different springs, shocks, and probably a different driving style, so the very same bar could well be totally wrong for you.

Improving the handling of an already fine handling car takes more than just throwing in money for expensive parts. If you don't KNOW what direction you need to go with the anti-sway bars then you're probably better off leaving them alone.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by R3DS2K,Jun 24 2007, 01:56 AM
should have warmed up your tires.. even tho it was at 25 mph if you make a hard enough turn or a sudden one.. it may throw your car side wayz.. than you just can take action and dRift.. hehe. RWD
I've got a rear bar down at the shop that makes the S2000 downright NASTY, and I can easily see how it would get some of the guys here into this kind of situation. Hell, we see enough people spinning with the stock bars, and a stiffer rear bar is the LAST thing such people need. Well, maybe. The KAAZ 1.5 LSD can be nasty if the driver lacks finesse, and may well be potentially as nasty for some drivers as a super stiff RSB.

It is a mistake to underestimate how nasty a really fat rear bar can make the S2000's.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The story about the rear bar and losing control is perfectly possible. If you know the cars handling limits, then they suddenly change to make oversteer WAY easier, you're going to do what *used* to be fine and get into trouble.

Quick Reply: Lowering & Sway Bars