S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Low Weight Cat back exhaust

Old 11-25-2002, 09:51 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by Mike Schuster
Elistan, cutting before the Y split. I may try this. Are there any downsides? Any loss of power?
Here's the thread with the car's dyno - it's the '02 yellow with 200.2hp. This was with the exhaust cut after the Y split. So I'd say there's no loss in power, and the possibility of gaining something.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Is there anyone who has a database on which exhaust adds what amount of HP & torque to the car?

I talked a lot with Comptech when they were designing theirs (I actually had their first exhaust - they installed it on my '00 about 15 minutes before they installed the one for their car!) and it took them many dyno runs and 6+ months to design an exhaust that didn't lose power - they could get HP increases at the expense of torque, or more torque at the expense of HP - the design they went with only ended up with about 3hp at the wheels increase, with no loss of torque - it was the best they could get.

I know there are a lot of lighter options out there, but I'm not sure how many have verifiable (dyno'd) power increases. Anyone know?
Old 11-25-2002, 11:47 AM

Oops - forgot to actually provide the link!

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=73976

Annie - I don't think anybody's put together such a list. The dyno days we've had here in Dallas included exhausts from Mugen, J's Racing, RM Racing, stock, stock w/o mufflers, and single outlet Amuse See the above link. Not a single setup had significant enough differences for me to conclude any specific gains/losses because of the exhaust. So my advise about exhausts is to get as light as possible, without sacraficing your hearing and wallet. If you have the money, that means dual outlet Amuse. If you don't care about noise, J's Racing. If you're on a budget, cut the stock exhaust.

I'd recommend going with designs like the Comptech and HKS only if you're interested in cosmetic (visual and aural) changes. They don't provide enough other benefits to justify the money, IMO.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Banannie
... they could get HP increases at the expense of torque, or more torque at the expense of HP ...
... only in america ...
Old 11-30-2002, 01:55 AM

Do you guys remember, "Pepe." Didn't he say when they ballasted his car with 50 lbs. he put in faster laps. They had to ballast his car 100 lbs. to slow him down.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:59 PM

Just got my stock exhaust chopped before the Y split today, then installed a mandrel bent pipe fitted with a Magnaflow muffler. And since I've already done a baseline dyno two months ago, I will know if I gain or lose any ponies at the same dyno shop next Sat. I'll report back.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spider
[B]Just got my stock exhaust chopped before the Y split today, then installed a mandrel bent pipe fitted with a Magnaflow muffler.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:19 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spider
[B]And since I've already done a baseline dyno two months ago, I will know if I gain or lose any ponies at the same dyno shop next Sat.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Elistan

How's the sound?
The sound's deeper than stock, but not too loud. I'd say no louder than Mugen's dual.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That simply isn't true. If you hold your testing conditions constant and use the same dyno, you get terrific repeatability. The keys are:

1. Hold coolant temp to the same levels
2. Ensure that you haven't changed the brand or type of oil you've used
3. Always look at corrected power numbers
4. On roller dynos, ensure that you use the same wheel/tire combo inflated to the same pressure each time.

If you do these things, you should be able to achieve repeatability to within 1% or better. On my S2000, I've dyno'd on 4 different days (on the same dyno) and gotten results within +/- 1hp. The dyno I use (dynapack) is only guaranteed to 0.3% repeatability (or about 0.75 hp on my car), so that's pretty much within the error range of the dyno.

UL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HondaGuy
[B]
It wouldn't be a legitimate comparison.

Quick Reply: Low Weight Cat back exhaust