S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Low Speed Grinding Noise

Old 10-16-2012, 05:08 AM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Low Speed Grinding Noise

I've had my car for 2 months and it's been flawless. Today I drove to school in the morning and when coming back into my neighborhood I noticed a grinding noise toward the right rear of the car at low speeds. At first I thought something was underneath dragging, but I pulled over and saw nothing. Someone pulled over next to me and he said he didn't hear anything, but I heard it inside. Once I got over 20 mph I didn't notice it, but I did when coming to a stop again. I didn't think to see if I noticed it clutch in. Since I was in my neighborhood I just pulled into my garage and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I just drove it 5 minutes to the Honda dealer to pick up a new cabin air filter and thought if it happened again I could have them look at it. Didn't notice it at all and it ran completely normally. I'm about 2k overdue for my 90k service (just haven't had the time) but I was planning to do it today. Any ideas what it could be or what I should look for for the next week or so?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am having the same problem right now... hahaha i am thinking it is my like my right rear hub or something in that area! about a year ago i had the same problem with the back right wheel area making a awful noise so i think it is the same thing on my rear left wheel now.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever noticed a slight click whe pulling out or backing up? Make sure your axel nuts were re torqued. I just picked my car up a couple months ago and havent had them re torqued yet, and im having the clicking and grinding symptoms. Im afraid the wheel bearing and hopefully not the hub are on their way out. But have the garage check that they were torqued to the correct setting when they do your service. Or if you want to do it yourself theres a nice write up int the drivetrain library. Hope this helps!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

I haven't noticed anything that sounded even remotely wrong with my car since I've had it, except for a faint whine at low speed which (from what I've read) is normal. I was really hoping to finally get my fluids done, but I still can't get my jack under the center point even with 2x10"s under the wheels, looks like it's going to be a couple more days before I can get it done.

On a good note I just drove the car for about an hour and noticed nothing wrong. I would assume if there was a problem it would be persistent, I'll keep an ear out for it over the next couple days and see what happens.