S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Low Rpms

Old 05-25-2004, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Rpms

I'm having a problem with my RPMs, I put the car on neutral and accelerate at 7000 rpms and the rpms goes almost dead and then back to idle. Did anybody have an idea of what it could be?
Old 05-26-2004, 07:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Its because the car is in neutral.

It is not wise to do this, and the car knows better than you do.

Try it on the road and you'll probably have no problems.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:20 PM

Nop, its also doing it on the road thats why I did it on neutral.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:15 PM

Most modern engines have rev limiters set for neutral, to keep owners from abusing the engine. That sounds like what is happening to you - although you are not being very clear. Are you saying that when in gear with the clutch engaged the engine shuts down at 7000 rpm - or that it only shuts down when in neutral?
Old 05-26-2004, 07:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Try the "MAP whack", then an ECU reset and give the car a bit of time to "learn".
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=209708
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=183490
Old 05-26-2004, 08:24 PM
tru

mine has the same problem today. i gotta try the map wack .
Old 05-26-2004, 11:54 PM

you know wat it is, its sometimes because ur car is not warm enough, even with a nice weather i still warm it up a little. that happened to me when i took off on 1st and it got stuck to 7000rpm then choke. and i notice it when i dont warm it up. just do so u dont wanna messed up the S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 07:30 AM

OK, I think we are talking about TWO different issues in this thread, so let CLARIFY what's going on here.

To the original poster:
1. Are you saying that you "rev" the car up to about 7000 rpm and when it gets there, the engine "cuts out", you take your foot off the gas, then it comes back to idle?

OR:

2. You rev the engine up (to nearly 7000 rpm), let your foot off the gas, it comes back down to BELOW normal idle for a second or two, then settles back to normal idle?

If it is (1.), then you are hitting the cold temp rev limiter - STOP doing this when the engine is cold or when you are in neutral - NOT good for the engine.

If it is (2.), then it may be a MAP issue. (But you shouldn't be revving it that high in neutral anyway, regardless of how warmed up the engine is.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:00 PM

With the car warm up, when I engaged the clucth the rpms goes almost to cero and the back to Idle.So I thought that the clutch wasn't engaging good so I did o neutral, and If I accelerate my car at any rpms when I let my foot of the gas the rpms goes almost to cero and then back to idle.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by agc_23
With the car warm up, when I engaged the clucth the rpms goes almost to cero and the back to Idle.So I thought that the clutch wasn't engaging good so I did o neutral, and If I accelerate my car at any rpms when I let my foot of the gas the rpms goes almost to cero and then back to idle.
I think we may be having a bit of a problem with getting your thoughts in print.

"when I engaged the clucth the rpms goes almost to cero and the back to Idle" ---- There is missing information here. Are you in neutral while you do this? When you say "engaged", do you mean pushing it to the floor or letting it back up? If you are truly engaging the clutch in neutral, this should have no effect on idle speed. If you are engaging the clutch to move the car in gear, are you giving it gas as you load the powertrain?

"If I accelerate my car at any rpms when I let my foot of the gas the rpms goes almost to cero and then back to idle." ---- When you let your foot off the gas, are you doing anything with the clutch? If not and you are decelerating to a stop, your engine will eventually quit. If you are accelerating and then suddenly take your foot off the gas and also push in your clutch and then simply coast, you are confusing the hell out of your ECU and it is no surprise that your idle speed is going nuts on you. You should not be doing this.

It is very hard to give you answers when there are so many details missing from your questions.

Quick Reply: Low Rpms