S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Low oil pressure on start with Mobil 1

Old 07-20-2001, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally remembered to actually watch the oil idiot light to see how much time it takes for me. Using a Honda filter and Mobil 1 5W-30 (I forgot it's supposed to be 10-30 but then synthetic oil does a better job of lubricating at lower viscosity than petroleum oils in the first place), the light went out almost instantly.

I'd change the filter again. If it STILL has a delay, I'd have it checked out. Someone here actually had a problem with the oil cooler (it fits between the oil filter and the engine block) failing, draining all oil...
Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to resurect an ancient thread... but i have noticed this as well... It seams to happen only in the morning... if i drive then leave for a ocuple hours then drive it doesn't lose pressure at start...

What could be the possible problems if oil pressure light comes on for a 1/2 second or so during initial start up? crap oil filter? oil or what? I run 5w-30 (as says so on oil cap) and fully synth...
Old 10-19-2009, 10:40 AM

easiest thing to do is just change the filter.

if the anti-drain-back valve leaks, the car will show low oil pressure during startup.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by turbo_slug,Oct 19 2009, 06:40 PM
easiest thing to do is just change the filter.

if the anti-drain-back valve leaks, the car will show low oil pressure during startup.
Awesome will do... the only other thing I have that isn't standard would be the oil filter sandwich plate but I doubt that would affect anything? checked the thing for leaks and proper sealing and seems fine...

Will try the oil filter and get back to yoooze guys
Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Nickamsweet Posted on Oct 19 2009, 08:15 PM
What could be the possible problems if oil pressure light comes on for a 1/2 second or so during initial start up? crap oil filter? oil or what? I run 5w-30 (as says so on oil cap) and fully synth...
I don't think its the filter.
If you have ever changed your own filter - and oil - and forgot to fill the new filter with fresh oil you know what I mean.
Waiting for that light to turn off seems like to take forever

Don't think that "low" oil pressure means there is no oil going through the engine.
The oil pump IS turning and it IS pumping oil, no doubt.

I've seen it too, occasionally, on my engine, now with Amsoil SSO 0W-30 and before with Valvoline FE 5W-30.
Its a cold start, you press the button, it fires up, the light turns off and for a split second goes on/off to stay off.
IMO its a pressure wave, bouncing around, creating a very short dip in the oil pressure right where the sensor is.

Once again: low pressure =/ low flow.
I'll bet you there is more oil rushing through the engine with a thinner oil at start-up.

I'll put it this way: I don't worrie about it at all.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:42 AM

that happend to me....now i put the car on accessories...wait till the beeping stops and it starts just fine...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 AM

Cheers Spitfire - I am just soo paranoid now, since one engine blew and don't want anything to happen to this baby!!

and mmm...vtec - Yeah that's exactly what i do, ensure fuel pump on and all that crap then turn it over, takes like half a second or so... just is a not nice light to see turned on haha.

Will do a video on my phone tomorrow morning so you guys can see and then make sure it's not just me with this similar problem... I did think it might be down to the 5w since I used to run 10w in the old engine...
Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Nickamsweet Posted on Oct 19 2009, 09:51 PM
I am just soo paranoid now, since one engine blew and don't want anything to happen to this baby!!
As long as the oil pressure warning light never ever, not for the slightest moment, comes on after the initial start-up flash, hot or cold, there is no problem at all IMO.

I know what it feels like to see that light come on during a hot idle.

Btw.. why not go for 0W-30.
I'm sure you'll get a good deal on a case of Amsoil SSO, as it is available in the UK.
Especially if you mention it was recommended to you by another S2000 driver, located in the Netherlands.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:36 AM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6hLk6x07PA [/media]

Here you go... made a little video, was on my phone at night so the quality is poor.. but you get the general time etc the light stays on...
Old 10-25-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Re-read your honda manual. My understanding is that this is normal. In all my honda cars the oil light stays lit for a few seconds after start until oil pressure hits the right level.

I think you guys are over thinking this. If it comes on while driving, get concerned. If at start up... well what exactly do you think it is happening?

It's going from no oil pressure, to oil pressure. There will be a time between when there isn't enough pressure to turn the safety light off. Honda clear states in their manual if it comes on for a consistent length of time to pull over. I believe they state under 15 seconds is nothing.

It flickering while cornering or aggressive driving is low oil and staying on while driving means complete loss of oil pressure (or the system thinks so anyway). Only for it staying on do they tell you to pull over.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure on start with Mobil 1