S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Low oil pressure

Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Comp looks good as they are all within 10psi. If your lucky your oil pump is bad and you caught in time before damaging the engine internals. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Comp looks good as they are all within 10psi. If your lucky your oil pump is bad and you caught in time before damaging the engine internals. Good luck.
anyway to check all these things? or best way is to just open the pan and timing chain cover and inspect evertthing?
Old 08-04-2015, 08:33 PM

Drop the pan and check for metal or send it to a good mechanic. Where are you located? Maybe there are some veterans near by
Old 08-04-2015, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
Drop the pan and check for metal or send it to a good mechanic. Where are you located? Maybe there are some veterans near by

I am located in Millbrae, 12 miles south of San Francisco.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:19 AM

I have been trying to search, but can not find. Can you replace the upper connecting rod bearing by just doing it through the oil pan?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:58 AM

right after new tct installed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOpvV2_Fprw

week later tct went bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK4mpXeSSQI

oil test and rod knock test tmrw
Old 08-05-2015, 04:20 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

My first course of action would be pull the four rod caps as these are usually the first to spin. If the connecting rod has not made contact with the crankshaft yet (the spun bearing will protect the crank for a while if you are gentle with the car) you stand a decent chance of a while-you-wait repair.

Post locally for this, maybe someone will chime in. You don't need an S2000 specific guy, just someone familiar with in-car crank polishing by hand.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
My first course of action would be pull the four rod caps as these are usually the first to spin. If the connecting rod has not made contact with the crankshaft yet (the spun bearing will protect the crank for a while if you are gentle with the car) you stand a decent chance of a while-you-wait repair.

Post locally for this, maybe someone will chime in. You don't need an S2000 specific guy, just someone familiar with in-car crank polishing by hand.
so by the sounds of the engine you think the bearings have spun already?
Old 08-05-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

It doesn't sound like it, are you still seeing the oil light at idle? If the bearings spin you won't have oil getting into the bearing clearance and you'll hear it knock. First fix that, oil light at any other time but a split second after start up is bad, very bad. Listen to Billman if anyone's advice is worth taking it's his. If you're no longer getting an oil light, then you can worry about the tct. It's not the TCT itself it's the engine, you have to either fix the engine(tricky) or mod the TCT, or buy an already modded one.

If it comes on while you're full of oil it's one of two things. Either your bearings are going to die soon, or your oil pump is worn. I would get that checked out before you drive the car much more. Oil starvation can destroy the engine in a matter of seconds.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
It doesn't sound like it, are you still seeing the oil light at idle? If the bearings spin you won't have oil getting into the bearing clearance and you'll hear it knock. First fix that, oil light at any other time but a split second after start up is bad, very bad. Listen to Billman if anyone's advice is worth taking it's his. If you're no longer getting an oil light, then you can worry about the tct. It's not the TCT itself it's the engine, you have to either fix the engine(tricky) or mod the TCT, or buy an already modded one.

If it comes on while you're full of oil it's one of two things. Either your bearings are going to die soon, or your oil pump is worn. I would get that checked out before you drive the car much more. Oil starvation can destroy the engine in a matter of seconds.
Thank you for your input.

I WILL FORSURE TAKE BILLMAN'S ADVICE. I have learned from researching on this topic so much, Billman is the expert.

I am currently not driving the car at all since i heard the TCT noise come back. I did a rod knock test but pulling the ignition coils out one by one. It past that test.

I did an oil pressure test as well with a mac tool gauge, so should be pretty darn accurate.

NO OIL LIGHT NEVER CAME ON. MY OIL LIGHT ONLY CAME ON A FEW TIMES COMING TO A STOP. THAT IS THE ONLY TIME. SO I CAME TO A STOP AND WHILE COMING TO STOP MY CAR DROPPED BELOW NORMAL IDLE TO ABOUT 400-500 RPM AND THATS THE ONLY TIME THE OIL LIGHT WOULD FLASH AND TURN OFF COMPLETELY. AFTER COMING TO THE STOP IT WOULD NEVER COME ABCK AFTER IDLE RISES BACK. SO MY THOUGHT WAS MAYBE A VACUUM LEAK ALMOST LETTING CAR DIE.BUT HERE ARE THE PRESSURE TEST RESULTS...

Oil pressure test results.
Not good.

Warm Idle: ~5psi
warm 3000rpm: 34psi

Taken with a mac tool oil pressure tester form sending unit

Gabe Ang

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure