S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Low neutral idle - Battery voltage research?

Old 07-14-2011, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low neutral idle - Battery voltage research?

I had my engine swapped with a younger one that was reported to have around 56k miles on it. I took it in to get the o2 sensors replaced and put my catalytic converter back on. Now the car wants to dip low into 200 to 800 rpm when in neutral. It's not every time but definitely most of the time. If I let of the clutch around 2500 to 3000 rpm and go to neutral it usually doesn't do it. But if it is lower or higher that this range, it tends to bog down.

I used some throttle body cleaner (sparsely) and a toothbrush to clean in the throat of the tb and I removed the IAC to clean it up as well. It was kinda cruddy but I had it looking pretty good afterwards. I did the map sensor whack and also re-secured it with a zip tie. Pulled the backup fuse, replaced and then let the car idle until the cooling fans cycled threw twice. Cut the car off and then started it again. It hasn't really gotten any better.

So while I was thinking about it I tried some other things and noticed that when I use ANY electrical system the engine bogs down as soon as I use it. I was sitting in the parking lot and I went to roll up my windows and as soon as I did this the idle bogged down. I did it multiple times and usually got the same result of bogging down. I also tried the turning signals. Did the same thing. This is all with the ac off. When the engine is cooling itself and I DON'T have the ac on, it usually idles fine. If the engine is cooling itself and the ac IS on then I get the engine bogging. I have a guy that wants to buy this car and he drove it before it went to the shop and it drove fine and now I am having this damn problem. I have read somewhere else that getting the valve adjusted seemed to help but it was only reported by one person. I did however see a trend of drivers that all had the K&N cold air intake. I also have this on my car. One guy said he put the factory box back on and the problem went away.

HELP
Old 07-14-2011, 07:27 AM

So I just thought about something with the K&N. It has been a while (simply because it's a pain in the ass to get to) sense the air filter cone has been cleaned. Do you think that at low idle it might not be getting enough air? Just speculating.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Ok, another thing I just noticed. When I cleaned the IAC valve I did not see this "roller" on two bearings. Am I missing something? Maybe my IAC is broken? I have tried to find close up shots of the IAC but I can only find shots that look similar to what I saw on mine.