S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Low compression head gasket

Old 05-12-2003, 08:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Low compression head gasket

I know that Speed craft turbo kit comes with the low compression head gasket. Is it safer to install the Low compression head gasket for turbocharged S2000? I believe the compression ratio will comes down to 10:1 right? Where can I get this gasket? Speedcraft? any downside to it?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2003, 08:56 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

I believe you run the (very real) risk of blowing out the gasket. I think there are some posts regarding this.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the gasket you are reffering to is the copper style!?!?!?!
anyway if it is I would talk to CJB80 (chris) he had major problems with the copper gasket.
Also as far as I understand when you lower the compression ratio with the head gasket and not the pistons you increase the risk of detonation & knock in your engine, this could be compleate crap but I think its right
hope that helps....
Andy
Old 05-14-2003, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm.... I don't know about your post Andrew (I'm not disagreeing, I just don't know )

But as for wicky's, I think you can greatly reduce that risk by O-ringing the head.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:53 AM

The head gasket that "speedcraft" includes with the kit is a very thick copper head gasket that comes flat (eg, not o-ringed). In theory, the gasket can lower compression enough so that you can boost "More. Comfortably.". In practice, the head gasket is difficult to seal properly. Hylamar (sp?) - a head gasket sealant specifically designed for copper head gaskets - did not work well. Suffice it to say, no sealant also did not work.

If you wish to go with the head gasket, you will most likely want to o-ring your block, which involves taking the block OUT of the car and sending it to a machine shop (and most likely disassembled for the o-ringing). If you are going to go that far, it is probably just better/cheaper to buy the pistons and rods and put them in the block. If you're like some of us, you may just want to resleeve the block while it's open, then forget the head gasket altogether in lieu of high performance internals.

That being said, I have a copper head gasket (unused) for our engine for sale (10 bucks? 20?) if anyone wants one.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:35 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally posted by damcgee
Hmm.... I don't know about your post Andrew (I'm not disagreeing, I just don't know )

But as for wicky's, I think you can greatly reduce that risk by O-ringing the head.
I agree but if you've gone that far you might as well go all the way and sleeve it and lower the compression. IMO
Old 05-14-2003, 02:00 PM

Since the block is out now........do you all think that if I sleeved and o-ringed the block and put in lower compression piston, rods etc......will it work without any head work done while having the boost level turn up couple psi?

Old 05-14-2003, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jackie

The block I recommend you rather do a Mike Simmon set up. Full block and head. Or give the block to AEBS. They are very good, they have done a few s2000 block already.
Call me at the shop and I can tell you more. Also the head, I would send it to Joe Alaniz @ Alaniz racing.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by evo s2000
[B]Jackie

The block I recommend you rather do a Mike Simmon set up. Full block and head. Or give the block to AEBS. They are very good, they have done a few s2000 block already.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:22 PM

We initially ran a copper head gasket from SCE gaskets while experimenting with a car dropping the compression 1 point. This however like everyone states was unable to seal and the gasket blew. Once the the motor is out its a good idea to just forget the gasket all together and go with beffier internals lowering the comp ratio as well

Quick Reply: Low compression head gasket