S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

low compression F22c

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default low compression F22c

hey guys/gals, Been a while since i have posted in here but i picked up another s2000 and need some help.

Quick rundown on the issue - Bought the car with a f22c swapped into it, coolant temps were spiking as well as heat not working properly. Turned out to be a small hole in a hose causing the bleeding process to be pointless.

After getting that squared away its on the the next (larger) issue... The known to well MISFIRE

I havent had my code scanner on hand so im not sure on what cylinders P/O told me cylinder 4.
So I started today with the basics, Checked injectors, coilpacks, map, plugs, and did a valve adjustment (they were pretty far out) pulled "backup" fuse and let the car idle and relearn. Sounded pretty good then started to shake a bit like a misfire would.

After a few restarts CEL back on So i finally got the heart to do a compression test (fearing the worst)
YUP!
#1-220psi
#2-235psi
#3-200psi
#4-120psi

I don't have access to a compressor where the car is located so a leakdown couldnt be done. Figured the compression was good enough reason to pull the head anyway and get it pressure checked at a shop.

Now im wondering if the F22 valves could be bad? I know the retainers have been fixed but could it still be bent/burnt valves?

Also what are the chances of it being a headgasket? It was pretty muggy out today so the exhaust had SOME white smoke but i couldnt say for sure if it would be coolant or not. Would headgasket show these kinds of compression results? Maybe P/O ran it to long without the coolant system bled properly?

Please any help would be awesome!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty sure your headgasket is gone around cylinder #4. Explains the misfires and the compression.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:11 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

And/or PO ran too long with coolant issue, and overheated, and head is warped. Hope its just the gasket. Be sure to check head is still flat be just doing gasket and reassmble.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

If the head is warped can it be machined? Never dealt with that before. Also if this has to do with the gasket wouldnt it still overheat?

Also a silly question that i could probably just google but while im here might as well ask. If the compression is good could a leakdown still show bad results? For example 230psi compression that means that cylinder top and bottom are good? So im only looking at cylinder 4 in this situation? If thats the case then all i need to do now is a leakdown on only cylinder 4 to verify if it is the head or bottom end?

It would be a huge relief to only be dealing with one cylinder weather its valves, gasket, or bottom end. Unless a warped head cant be machined then i need a whole new head anyway lol.

Thanks for the help folks!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

bump. anymore input before i tear it apart?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waiting on pics. OP did a tear down
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Finally made it to a computer for an update.

Let me start by saying thanks AZ-S2000 for all of your help so far as well as all the others with input!

So i started the tear down today. Head was off in an hour, Im getting better!! i first kind of expected and hoped to find a broken or warn headgasket...not the case

Here is what i did find. I will give a description first as the pictures upload to a hosting site.

Cylinders #1 and #2 look to be perfect (head and block)

Cylinder #3 head and block have some signs of something that i dont really know what. The valves appear to have the same amount of carbon buildup on exhaust and intake side which i find strange? usually i see a white more burnt look on one side. Also there appears to be pitting around the piston as well as around the valves (you will notice is pictures)

Cylinder #4 Appears to look identical to #3 along with another large issue. There is some scoring on the sleeve, Also this piston has been replaced by P/O and it looks as if the piston broke away at all four corners compared to the other pistons. I will post a picture and if you dont see what i mean please let me know and i will circle it in paint and post again.