S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loud Valves/Injectors After Valve Adjustment and Oil Change?

Old 05-27-2014, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Valves/Injectors After Valve Adjustment and Oil Change?

MY2003 at ~50,500 miles. Just had my first valve adjustment done since I've owned it. Also got my oil changed, switched from Mobil 1 fs to Castrol Edge. All of this after I realized I was running the engine while low on oil. This noise didn't start happening until after the oil change and VA though. Would this possibly be caused by the different make up of the Castrol, or could something have possibly gone wrong during the VA?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICbrazbpco8[/media]
Old 05-27-2014, 05:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do another valve adjustment
Old 05-27-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

When you redo the VA, make sure each valve you adjust, that the cam lobe for that valve is pointing up. If the lobe is pointing down at all on a valve you are about to adjust, you messed up on the timing marks and are misadjusting the valve big time.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:31 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

I'm more worried about not hearing the drive train, when I do my valve adjustments I leave it towards the loose side of the adjustment range.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Maybe I should add, I didn't do this adjustment myself. I had a supposedly reputable shop near my house do that adjustment as well as the oil change all at once. This is partially why I'm not sure if it was caused by the different oil, the valves, or a combination of both.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

It's possible.
Maybe your valves were on the tight side before the adjustment. Ask them what they did
Old 05-28-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
It's possible.
Maybe your valves were on the tight side before the adjustment. Ask them what they did
I brought it back to the shop and talked to them yesterday. The guy who did it is actually a Honda master mechanic. He heard the noise I was talking about, and is under the impression that it's more likely due to the different oil used for the oil change. His explanation was that since the chain is driven off of the oil pump and the viscosity of the oil might be slightly different, the chain could be spinning differently. (At least that's what I remember from what he said) It doesn't seem like the likely explanation to me, but I'm not a Honda master mech either, so I guess I should take his word for it. I'm sending off an oil sample today to see if there's any engine wear/damage, but he said it's not something I should worry about. So for the time being, I'm trying to convince myself to ignore it until my next oil change, which I'll be using to switch to Amsoil.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:30 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

These cars are notoriously noisy, if you wanted a quiet engine you should have got a Camry or something with a v6
Old 05-28-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
These cars are notoriously noisy, if you wanted a quiet engine you should have got a Camry or something with a v6
Cool it. I know these are noisy. If you read my post all of the way through, you would have seen that it was noisier after the valve adjustment, and I was just wondering if that was to be expected or if I should look into it further. While I appreciate that your comment bumped my post, I also appreciate helpful input.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its got to be ur valve adjustment or u probably damage something during the time u were riding the car with low oil. Mine don't even sound like that when I switch from honda oil to castral edge synthetic.

Quick Reply: Loud Valves/Injectors After Valve Adjustment and Oil Change?