S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

loud rattling noise coming from the rear...

Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud rattling noise coming from the rear...

well i was driving on the highway doing normal highway speed and at around 65-70mph/ 3-3.5RPM i hear this loud @$$ metal on metal sounds like somthings jumbling around and the vibration is shaking a lot in the car im like WTF is my exhaust loose i pull over and move my exhaust around nothings tapping or shakin looks in it. i jacked up my car the next day to get under it but i dont see anything that it can be hitting and it doesnt always happen all the time but the sound comes from my right rear side and when it does its VERY noticable. i explained it to some of the guys on the forums and some are thinkin its my wheel bearing wearing out but they told me to check the forums anyways. anyone know what im talkin about or has shared the same experiences?? i would really like to get this solved because i dont feel too comfortable it somthing is really wrong and i dont want things to get dangerous.....
Old 10-26-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Search for Diff problems and see if they match your problem.

how many miles is on the car.
Driving habits.
track? drag racing? excessive abuse, etc.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:05 AM

hopefully its not the diff but ill keep searching.

i have 73K miles. havent tracked it yet. i do not drag at all just for the fact that i didnt wanna blow my diff in the first place and im turboed. i do like to push the car on turns but im not like drifiting everywhere ya know. my car has been in the shop for 3months and all they did was install turbo , hg, exhaust, electronics etc... but other than that havent dont anything to the wheels i got my RE30s put on 5months ago no problem.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the CV's too.
Especially the inboard ones.
A tri-pod spider may be on its way out.

Is the car lowered?
Wider aftermarket wheels?

Old 10-27-2007, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Oct 27 2007, 06:16 AM
Check the CV's too.
Especially the inboard ones.
A tri-pod spider may be on its way out.

Is the car lowered?
Wider aftermarket wheels?

ill check things out again

whats this tri pod spider problem?

yes my car is lowerd but not like crazy dumped just a little lower than stock settings on my tien mono flex. im running 17x7.5 front and 17x9.5 rears with the correct offsets
Old 10-27-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

ShMooveS2k Posted on Oct 27 2007, 04:32 PM
whats this tri pod spider problem?
There is no problem with the tri-pod spider in general
You may have a problem with it.
Half Shaft Spacer Post
In this post ^^ , first page, halfway down, Billman's reply, is a picture of the tri-pod.
If that's broken (literally) it may cause the noise you are hearing.
And the vibes from the rear axle not being supported.
You can see a little spline sticking out at the top of the spider, that's the axle.
The entire Half Shaft Spacer Post is very interesting and (I think) explaines what lowering does to inboard CV's.
(and that there is no cure... but that's IMO)

Old 10-27-2007, 01:55 PM

I have the same problem. But it usually occurs after going WOT for a little bit. Sounds like something is tapping against the car. Not a rattling or knocking type noise. But more of a Tapping from under the car. I couldn't figure out the problem and 2 dealers couldnt figure it out either.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:03 PM

My 05 does the same thing and it only did it when i installed my magnaflow exhaust. Im pretty sure the exhaust pipe is just tapping against the cross beam that goes under or over depending on how u look at it. Ive put 12K on it and it does it ussually at start up and high idle. I doubt its anything serious as i drive my car pretty hard and havent had any problem yet.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bliss@5200,Oct 27 2007, 03:03 PM
My 05 does the same thing and it only did it when i installed my magnaflow exhaust. Im pretty sure the exhaust pipe is just tapping against the cross beam that goes under or over depending on how u look at it. Ive put 12K on it and it does it ussually at start up and high idle. I doubt its anything serious as i drive my car pretty hard and havent had any problem yet.
yea i was hopin its that ill find out tomorrow when i do my clutch install. but wheni moved my pipe from the back it didnt move much but i didnt have it on a lift just a jack so well see. because it only happens when im at 3k-3.7k rpm thats when my exhaust is the deepest and maybe its just reverberating so much and that when we welded another bracket to keep it from having any play maybe its just TOO still??
Old 10-29-2007, 04:36 AM

found the problem.... my right side axle those bolts where hitting my exhaust. it only happens at highway speeds because the speeds and the sloping of the roads

Quick Reply: loud rattling noise coming from the rear...