S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loud engine clacking/tapping noise - Cyl #4

Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

News Flash.......

I got around to doing a compression test last night.. and it came back 240 all across.

I also did some more reflecting on the previous owner of the car. She was a doctor and I doubt she really let the car warm up before driving the S hard. I also doubt that she checked the oil level as much as she should have.

I also have a couple more theories to bounce off you guys.
-Could there be camshaft scouring caused by bad driving habits when cold that could cause this cold start noise?
-Could the coating on the piston skirt have rubbed off due to the bad driving habbits of the previous owner that could also cause this noise?

The unanimous advice I have received is to continue enjoying the car and monitor the oil level but I would still not mind finding what could be causing the noise.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey fellas! i learned quite a bit from yall but am having a loud tapping noise. from stop to slow acceleration it gets louder..i think it stops around 4krpm but i dont remember.

recently replaced/sandblasted worm gear(inside and out) and the inside of the piston. transition was smooth after this and noise wasnt as bad
-last night we checked the valve lash and some were too tight and others were about .3 off. we didnt notice any cracks or fractures in the retainers.

my car is supercharged and we did recently put a new pulley and belt on so we maxed it out... drove it for about 4mins afterwards..(2miles) and when we left a stop sign we heard the ticking/rumbling so we pulled over.

we then got the car home and it became louder

we check the valves..twice USING ALL DATA (we are not professional valve adjusters tho)
spark plugs are not loose (some ppl had this problem)
-oil pressure fluctuates when warm from 42, 34, and later on from 12 , 0. it jumps back and forth so i know i need a new guage (this is @ idle; no boost) guage is messed up i think because 2 lights went out on it. At first start up, oil pressure reads 102/98 til it drops to 40

we have the valve cover off and oil pan off. everything looks decent and clean...( i am not a professional) just a badass driver

thanks fellas....give me a call or email if you know anything

Aubrey Elliott

(972)302-0488
aubrock2007@yahoo.com
Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There's no reason to thread jack, especially if you've already started your own thread.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DCurvs
News Flash.......

I got around to doing a compression test last night.. and it came back 240 all across.

I also did some more reflecting on the previous owner of the car. She was a doctor and I doubt she really let the car warm up before driving the S hard. I also doubt that she checked the oil level as much as she should have.

I also have a couple more theories to bounce off you guys.
-Could there be camshaft scouring caused by bad driving habits when cold that could cause this cold start noise?
-Could the coating on the piston skirt have rubbed off due to the bad driving habbits of the previous owner that could also cause this noise?

The unanimous advice I have received is to continue enjoying the car and monitor the oil level but I would still not mind finding what could be causing the noise.
If it is piston slap - I'm not saying it is or it isn't - some people seem to get the slap noise to decrease by changing brands of oil or viscosity. I'd probably go with an oil that has a high moly content and maybe a 0w30 synthetic that flows quickly. They discuss this issue on bobistheoilguy.com quite frequently.

I don't know about you guys but I would never buy an S2000 that is advertised as "lady driven" , many women just don't get around to checking tire pressures let alone oil levels. I don't like painting all women with the same brush, but just thinking about the women in my family and I'd never want to buy a car that they've owned, lol.