S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loud clicking. HELP

Old 05-04-2007, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud clicking. HELP

Alright so today i was at a light and it turned green, put it in first and gradually went, then at like 10mph, i kinda stepped on it and then i heard a pop. Now my car makes a rapid clunking noise in all gears, even in nuetral. I dont think its my differential because i dont know why but what do you guys think. Im gonna go under my car right now and check the bolts on the shaft spacers. God i hope its that and not my differential. Im scared. Please help me.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually what you describe sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me before my diff blew. If it is the same...you've cracked a carrier cap and it's allowing the assembly to shift causing the clunking sound. Eventually, the cap will fail entirely and you will break pinion teeth.

Probably better to rebuild now rather than have a catastrophic failure. You may have a usable core at this point. Waiting could reduce the core value when it finally blows.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:07 AM

Should i just get a LSD... it might be a sign for an upgrade.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 701 Likes on 444 Posts

Yup exactly same sounds I had when I blew my diff as well. Drain your fluid and see what it looks like to know for sure.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:14 AM

So i checked my bolts, they are not loose. I checked if there was a lack of grease inside the cv cups since i swapped them couple of weeks ago. Thats fine too. I cant find an obvious problem.

I think my differential is going also because i also used to hear a whining sound before this happened. Why are s2k diff so weak. Damn honda.

So what you guys think i should do. Buy LSD or get the car fixed under warranty but the warranty is extended so its not full coverage but a 100 dollar deductable.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by goldenfri,May 4 2007, 08:09 AM
Yup exactly same sounds I had when I blew my diff as well. Drain your fluid and see what it looks like to know for sure.
What colors am i looking for. Is it going to be black if its bad?
Old 05-04-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

what kind of gear oil did you use?

and do you only do normal driving?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 701 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k rookie,May 4 2007, 08:15 AM
What colors am i looking for. Is it going to be black if its bad?
Check for metal pieces and espcially on the magnetic drain plug. It will collect most of it. Also if you fluid looks like it has glitter in it, thats not so good.

Also was your car towed improperly at any point? I'm pretty sure that is what killed mine and some others.

Because I never launched the car and 10k miles ago the fluid looked great after a change.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW...I drained my diff 2 days before it failed and 1 day after the clunking sounds started. No metal in the oil or on the magnetic drain plug.

If the cap is just cracked, you won't see metal until teeth start rubbing or breaking.

Also...our Torsen LSD diff was not made by Honda but supplied to Honda by Mazda.

You can get re-inforced carrier caps or use the AP2 carrier caps (which are stronger than those used in the AP1). This is a great time to upgrade to 4.44 or 4.56 gears. Or as you mention go with a better LSD unit. If you are wanting acceleration, then the gears are probaby better. If you are into autox or track days, then a better LSD might prove more useful.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:57 AM

Well the car is in the shop right now. They are so busy, it wont be get cheked on till monday. I have to drive a murcery grandpa car. embarrasing. but i cant beleive this shit happened

i didnt even bother draining the fluid. Its obvious the diff is having problems.

w/e

Quick Reply: Loud clicking. HELP