S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loud clanking noise from engine - Please HELP!

Old 04-05-2004, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Purple_sky
Sorry if I sound whiny or annoying, but I keep losing money over senseless stuff; money of which I don't have too much of.
I don't see your posts as "whiny or annoying." None of us would be posting here if we weren't interested in the cars, and I also think most of us are concerned when one of our own is having problems with their car. Perhaps some may disagree, but I think your posts are of interest to the majority of our community. I for one have not seen another report of a #1 failing in this manner, but from what XViper said, this can happen if the oil jets are installed improperly. I think it is a benefit to everyone here when others share the problems they have with their car. We all learn more about the cars, and that has to be a good thing. Your posts are needed, and you have a right to be upset, considering that the car just broke for no (as yet) apparent reason.

Please let us know if you hear anything more from Honda. I think there are a lot of people here who would like to understand what happened, and I think reports like yours add value to this forum.

Thanks,

RED
Old 04-05-2004, 11:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The melted spark plug is suspicious. If the plug is not in tight the heat path across the threads to the head is greatly reduced. Spark plugs rely on this passage of heat to the head to stop them overheating. If the spark plug worked loose it would overheat, the nose/insulator which is the hottest part would disintergrate and drop into the cylinder causing lots of damage to the bore/piston.

A plug can also overheat if the wrong heat range is used, if the cylinder is running lean (paritally blocked injector) or if too much boost is used (forced induction only).

Make sure they check the valve seats/valves as they could also be damaged, and make sure there is no debris in the inlet manafold. All the valves need to be checks as it is possible for bits of sparkplug to get into the inlet plenum and get sucked into a different cylinder.

I havent read through all the post so not sure if your car is still in warranty. If its out of warranty I would accept their offer and make sure the plugs are retorqued at every service.

Speedracer.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RED MX5
Old 04-06-2004, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by chris_barry
The melted spark plug is suspicious. If the plug is not in tight the heat path across the threads to the head is greatly reduced. Spark plugs rely on this passage of heat to the head to stop them overheating. If the spark plug worked loose it would overheat, the nose/insulator which is the hottest part would disintergrate and drop into the cylinder causing lots of damage to the bore/piston.
Hi Chris,

I thought the plug was suspicious too, but since the engine is going back to Honda they should be able to figure that out (if that is indeed the cause of the problem).

Sky, listen to Chris; he knows what he's talking about.

Chris, without some knowledgeable person looking at the motor I think we're just guessing. The plug is suspect, and could indicate a loose plug, or might have been damaged by detonation. We've all guessed a lot about what MIGHT have caused this, but so far we really don't have enough information to be sure about much of anything.

Sky, can you get some photographs of the damaged engine parts and post them?

RED
Old 04-06-2004, 05:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RED MX5
Old 04-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Banned

purple, I couldnt find this in the thread, but are you the first owner of the car? If not, is it possible the previous owner could have over-revved the car ever or done anything like that to made it break? Please keep us posted im very curious to see how this turns out.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hondaS2001
purple, I couldnt find this in the thread,
Old 04-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Banned

well it will be tough/interesting to figure out if the wasted plug was the cause or the effect of the failure.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sky,

Honda's offer is pretty good. There have been several threads where owners whose cars were still under warranty were denied claims for similar damage for various reasons. $1300 is a much cheaper way to get your car on the road again than paying for the lot yourself. The value of the car on the used market should improve as it has a new bottom end.

I think you will just go round in circles trying to find out the root cause. I would just service it regularly and get them to check the spark plug torque each time.

Also, does the short motor and repair work come with any warranty? If so this is another bonus.

Speedracer.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Banned

Not sure if I read this correctly, but didnt purple say that the car has over 36k miles which would mean it is not under warranty? If this is the case, id say JUMP on this offer, honda has been a lot worse on people who were STILL under warranty, let alone not under warranty.

Quick Reply: Loud clanking noise from engine - Please HELP!