S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loud clanking noise from engine - Please HELP!

Old 03-26-2004, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
Old 03-26-2004, 09:56 PM

Guys, thanks for the responses!

So there's a chance that this is my fault to have caused this. I'm happy that my car is not a piece of crap afterall, and that Honda shouldn't be blamed for building crappy cars. But I'm devastated to learn that there's a real chance this is my fault. I don't understand, it was dry for quite a few days when the car actually broke down. If the CAI had sucked up water, shouldn't it have caused the hydrolock right away, and not gradually overtime? My car has always been parked in the garage and it was dry when the car broke down. I don't know...all I know is that I'm really devastated and sad.

Would the dealership be able to tell if the cause was hydro-lock when they tear the engine down? What I mean is, if they found something was wrong with the bearings or whatever else in the bottom-end, would they be able to tell it's caused by hydro-lock, or are there other variables?

Well, all I can do is wait for them to resolve this. Hopefully, I'll get some help, otherwise, I'll have to rob a bank or become Dave's (Xviper) slave for a while to make some money for this. Dave's definitely in need of a car washer, and that's what I can be. Just kidding! I'll find a way.

Red Miata, oh, MX5, good luck with your AEM CAI! As for mine, it's bye-bye. I didn't even know I needed a drain-shield when I bought and installed it. But, that's my ignorance and I have to live with the consequence.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Purple_sky
Red Miata, oh, MX5, good luck with your AEM CAI!
Old 04-03-2004, 12:35 AM

Well, thought to update the situation. Not expecting anyone to actually care or pay attention; it's just for my sake of "completing" this thread/story.

So, they've torn down the engine and found a piston rubbing against the walls of cylinder #1. The #1 spark plug was burnt off due to excessive heat in cylinder 1. All the bearings seem to be fine. They still don't know what's caused this yet, but they are sure hydro-lock is NOT the issue or cause. THANK GOD! This makes me happy because it's not my fault that caused this. Either way, I changed back to the stock intake.

Moreover, they asked me if I had nitrous on. "NO!", I said. Then they asked me if I could've over-reved or mis-shifted. "NOT possible!", I responded. All of those are the absolute truths. They believed me also. So as a result, they are doing more "testings and research" to narrow it down to its cause. Also, they are trying very hard to get Honda to help me out since this was not caused by me whatsoever. And I didn't. So I was right all along that my car itself is unreliable and has nothing to do with my fault, because I took proper care of it. The car is unreliable and Honda should help me out. I stand by this very strongly. All other manufacturers have at least 5 yrs of warranty and Honda only has 3. Toyota hybrid cars have an 8 yr/100,000-mile warranty on the batteries while Honda still only has 3 yr/36,000 on its batteries. What is going on with Honda? Why do they keep giving consumers such crappy warranties? Why are they like that? I just don't understand. They should at least match others' 5-yr warranties. I wish there was a way for all its customers to appeal to Honda Corp. Is there a way? I would simply tell them: "Why do you keep giving consumers such crappy warranties? Are you too 'chicken' to at least match Toyota's, who should be your role model because they are very successful and a leader to follow? So wake up and follow your leader, Toyota! Make yourselves more admireable!" Simple, straight-to-the-point, honest words.

Well, I'll find out next week if Honda would help me out with their unreliable car. Thanks for listening!
Old 04-03-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to hear that you are getting some satisfaction.
They said cylinder #1. I don't remember if you said, but did you buy the car new? If not, by chance did the previous owner have the new 4 hole oiljet bolts installed? If so, the #1 oiljet is the hardest one to install corrected. I suppose that a lose spark plug could give you the outcome you have but also an oiljet that wasn't spraying could also grenade the cylinder wall as you've described.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:47 AM
Banned

Did ALL 02's have the spark plug recall done or just late 02's? Could it be possible a plug backed out or not?
Old 04-03-2004, 09:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hondaS2001
Did ALL 02's have the spark plug recall done or just late 02's?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Careful Purple_Sky, Honda has the same warranty (almost; 8 years 80,000 miles) on their hybrid batteries. I know because my last car was a 2000 Honda Insight. From what I know, Toyota's and Honda's warranties are almost identical, except for this one difference. Toyota is also 3 years / 36,000 miles.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by patuww
Careful Purple_Sky, Honda has the same warranty (almost; 8 years 80,000 miles) on their hybrid batteries.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:34 PM

Well, finally got some news today. Honda is going to install a new short block for me, BUT I have to pay $1000. I think they should cover the whole thing for the malfunction. They still don

Quick Reply: Loud clanking noise from engine - Please HELP!