S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loud clanking noise from engine - Please HELP!

Old 03-17-2004, 07:08 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

loose spark plug?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally, the following formula applies:

loud clanking sound = Lot's of $'s to repair.

I think we need more info - there likely was a "precipitating event" - Honda engines almost never just all of a sudden go clanky.

Did you:
1) Over rev it on a downshift? Miss a gear?
2) Let the oil level drop too low?
3) Let the coolant drop too low, possibly warping a head by an overheat situation?
4) Does it happen at idle or opnly when the car is moving?

Fess up.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by vtecvoodoo
bent valve or spun bearing.
A bent valve would be caused by a mechanical over rev (downshifting into wrong gear) A spun bearing would be caused by being really low on oil or improper lubrication.

If it is one of these two causes, no matter how you slice it, the cost to correct this could far exceed $2,000.

If the water pump bearing was bad I would think that antifreeze would leak out of the bearing/seal. Hopefully it is something simple.

Good luck
Old 03-18-2004, 12:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
Generally, the following formula applies:

loud clanking sound = Lot's of $'s to repair.

I think we need more info - there likely was a "precipitating event" - Honda engines almost never just all of a sudden go clanky.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if you say so, it must be - Honda should cover this - I have never heard that S2000's are less reliable than other Hondas, just the owners are more finicky - and then there's that 9000 redline.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Road Rage
Well if you say so, it must be - Honda should cover this - I have never heard that S2000's are less reliable than other Hondas, just the owners are more finicky - and then there's that 9000 redline.
Well, this is MY personal experience and proof here. I didn't do anything drastic at all that day, but the S suddenly broke. I did Vtec to 8K when merging on the freeway in 3rd gear, then slowed down right away. I heard that Vtec'ing once a day is "healthy". 30 minutes later, it broke without notice. None of my other Hondas has ever had ANY problem at all. So this is proof to ME, at least, that the S is less reliable than my other Honda/Acura cars.

After day one, they still weren't able to find the problem yet, so they'll keep on checking. This is not a good sign. This is a sign of throat-cut expensive repair. Hopefully, Honda will be an angel and cover it for me. They think it's coming from the bottom end of the block. Thanks for listening to my "whines".
Old 03-20-2004, 12:05 AM

I thought to update this situation. Noone may care much here, but I need a place to vent.

After two days of inspection, they ran a compression test, but the result was fine. They ran a cylinder leak test, the result was fine. However, they did find a spark plug with a broken electrode. How did this happen? They think cylinder #1 is making the sound, and they need to tear the whole block apart to fix it. Also, they think it's coming from the bottom-end, and has to do with the bearing rod or something. But in order for them to begin, I need to authorize $800 for them to tear the whole thing apart to inspect it. THEN, they'd ask Honda to cover it from there, but odds are probably low. This is going to cost thousands of dollars.

I SIMPLY CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! For Christ's sake, this is a 2 yr-old car, not 20 years old, with only 36,xxx miles on it. IT BROKE ALL OF A SUDDEN. I did not do anything to have caused this; did not mis-shift, over-rev, or anything. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP! I'd never thought I'd say this about any Honda. I've owned other Honda and Acura cars, and they ALL have been bulletproof. NOT THIS ONE, this one is crap. And I've always treated her carefully and maintained her very properly. I don't drive hard, actually, I drive very easy (shifting at 3K most of the times), and I rarely race. I Vtec once a day, or even less, and never mis-shifted or over-reved. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP! What kind of a 2 yr-old car just breaks a cylinder or has something so serious? I never ever thought my S2K would turn out to be like this. I always thought it'd be like my other Hondas/Acuras: BULLETPROOF!

This whole incident has totally turned me off about the S2000. Worst car I've ever had. For Christ's sake, I had a 14 yr-old Camry that never had any serious problem. Let me ask you again: WHAT KIND OF A 2 YR-OLD CAR BREAKS DOWN LIKE THIS WHEN I'VE TAKEN CARE OF IT VERY PROPERLY? I've read of many owners having serious issues like this with their S2Ks, but never thought mine would be like this, since I drive very softly and do regular maintenance.

My view of Honda is forever tarnished. I no longer look at their cars as bulletproof, if taken proper care of. I've never had any car the broke down. C'mon, I don't even think domestic cars are this bad. After this repair, I'm taking it to the trash or trade it in for another car. I've heard Boxsters are not reliable, but what about Z4? My next consideration is a Z4, if its reliability is good, or even a Corvette C6, if reliability is good. I don't care how awesome or nice a car is, if its reliability sucks, then the whole car is crap to me. This applies towards any car.

So this is what it's like to have bad cars; cars that break down. Never ever happened to me 'til now. For Honda's sake, I hope their other cars are as bulletproof as my other Hondas and Acuras, and not a piece of crap like THIS S2K.

Okay, done venting, but still very pissed at this piece of crap. Okay, one last time: WHAT KIND OF A 2 YR-OLD CAR SUDDENLY BROKE DOWN WITH NO APPARENT CAUSE? It's not like I mis-shifted and over-reved to have caused it. What a piece of crap! I no longer look at it the same. After this, I'd look at it and shake my head at it with much disapproval.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you tell if the car has the new spark plugs? Honda had a recall on them half way through the '02 year. The new plugs have a stainless steel washer AND more importantly, a higher torque spec as the old spec was coming loose. If they did not screw in the plugs to the correct torque and the plug came loose, then you may have recourse.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:14 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by RT
loose spark plug?
....ask them if the plug was loose already when they went to do the comp test ........ if so, slap some new TSB plugs back in it and run for your lives ......
Old 03-20-2004, 09:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Purple_sky
I thought to update this situation.

Quick Reply: Loud clanking noise from engine - Please HELP!