S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loud clanking noise from engine - Please HELP!

Old 04-27-2004, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been following this thread since it's inception... and listening very carefully to my engine for clanks I might add.

Now that it seems to be winding down, I wanted to add a few points.

Sky, you asked about preventing future problems of a clogged injectory nozzle. Your mechanic might offer a fuel injection flush service. I'm sure you'll get mixed reviews from the other gearheads here on the utility of this service.. but if it buys you peace of mind.

Second, I am still curious about the previous owner, not that it would resolve what happened, just perhaps why. You said it had very few miles on it. How many did it have? Did you buy it from the owner or off a used car lot? Did you run the VIN through carfax to see if it was registered as a commercial vehicle? The reason I ask this is that an occasional S2K will have been used as a rental car for it's first year of life.

I know many here are thinking "a rental S2000, you're kidding right?" No, I'm not. The larger agencies (Hertz, Avis etc) rent all sorts of premium cars in the bigger cities (LA, SF, Vegas come to mind) including Boxters, Corvettes and S2Ks. I can't know how these cars are treated during their childhoods, but if you rented an S2K, how would you drive it?

Finally, I wonder if it would be possible to ask Honda whether the old block had the original oil jet bolts or whether they were upgraded... especially what the story is with #1.

And on a final note. My best friend bought a brand new Mustang GT in '02. Absolutely no mods down to the factory air filter, no burnouts, he babied the car. At 600 miles on the odo, the clutch disintegrated. Took it to the dealer. "Owner abuse" $1800 for new clutch installed. He battled with Ford who told him something to the effect of "it's been our experience that this model receives significant owner abuse by its nature. Pay up sucka" There's no moral to the story, just wanted to pass by you that buying a car marketed (if not engineered) to be driven hard has its price.

Meanwhile, I hope you get plenty of enjoyment out of the S now that it's back in business.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:35 PM

Halo,

I bought the car at about 9K miles, and when I checked CarFax, it was clear, but I don't know or think it was a rental or commercial car.

As far as the oiljet bolts, Honda wouldn't tell me anything. They just said "Inconclusive! Now leave us alone because we already paid for most of your engine." I don't really want to talk or ask them anything else. But the dealership didn't say anything when I asked about the oiljet bolts. But, whatever...

The good thing now is I have a new engine and I can take care of it. Is it still considered a new engine if the head is still old? I guess the block is the main part of the engine, right? Although the head can still be defective.

Take care!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Purple_sky
I bought the car at about 9K miles,
Old 04-27-2004, 09:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
Old 04-27-2004, 09:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RED MX5
Old 04-27-2004, 11:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
Old 04-28-2004, 12:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Purple_sky
Old 04-28-2004, 07:24 AM

Driven 'mostly' by the dealership worries me more than if it was bought from another owner, particularly if it was an enthusiast. 9000 miles of so-called "executive car" driving (that is, the service manager takes it for a weekend, then the sales manager has it for a week, then a salesman takes it for a week and his wife drives it a few days and so on...) is a very scary proposition.

I agree that a longer powertrain waranty would be nice, it's just that with Hondas we usually didn't need it. Clearly, that would apply to Civics and Accords, and not a limited production RWD roadster.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil jets stay clean if the engine oil is changed when needed. There is no special cleaning process, and i think those engine flushes are a waste of money of the car has been serviced, and possibly harmful if it hasn't, as all sorts of crud will move through the car, and leaks likely to develop.

For fuel injector products, read this:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...jector+cleaners
Old 04-29-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Road Rage
The oil jets stay clean if the engine oil is changed when needed. There is no special cleaning process, and i think those engine flushes are a waste of money of the car has been serviced, and possibly harmful if it hasn't, as all sorts of crud will move through the car, and leaks likely to develop.

For fuel injector products, read this:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...jector+cleaners
Hi RR,

I think you misunderstood the comment. There was a TSB for some countries changing the original oil jet bolts to newer bolts that provided more cooling, by providing two streams of oil rather than just one. It's easy to get the replacement jet install for the #1 cylinder hosed, and since Sky's failure was overheating in #1, someone raised a botched oil jet upgrade as a possible cause or contributing factor. Sky wasn't talking about flushes; "clean" wasn't the issue.

RED

Quick Reply: Loud clanking noise from engine - Please HELP!