S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loud clanking noise from engine - Please HELP!

Old 04-20-2004, 03:32 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

let us know if the problem is ever determined...ie, it was determined to be a over-rev...etc etc.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RACING SHOP
AN AIR PUMP IS A AIR PUMP - EH ?
More or less. I think Sky's motor was stock, except for the CAI. Agree that the damage looks a lot like detonation that could be the result of a lean condition, but suspect some other root cause. A loose plug can over-heat, and the hot-spot cause pre-ignition, leading to detonation. From what the dealer told Sky, I got the impression that the piston itself had also been over-heated. Anyway, with the mostly-stock motor it's hard to imagine a lean condition that wouldn't throw a CEL. It does look a lot like detonation damage, but I just don't see how it could be due to a lean condition unless a CEL was ignored. Of course, we're all just guessing. Honda is suppose to determine the cause of the failure (if possible); all the rest is just a bunch of us making guesses based on limited info.

As to the "A.I.R. pump" being the same thing as an "air pump," I don't think so, but nobody here really seems to care.

RED MX5
Old 04-20-2004, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
Old 04-20-2004, 06:16 PM

Pistons and plugs only look like that when you melt them down, when it is too lean. I have never seen a loose spark plug cause that !
There is documented cases of engine failures due to a loose spark plug. There was a recall sometime during the production of the 02MY's. The problem has since been fixed. I don't have any links but someone like xviper could post links on this site that shows the documented engine failures and the recall.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RACER
We know that VTEC is electronically controlled to engage at 6k rpm.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:54 PM

Hi guys,

New guy here who has finally decided to post from the shores of Spain (my second home). I have followed this thread for some time now and I have to say, I'm a little confused. As far as I can see, Sky got a new motor for 1000$ that could have cost him well over 4000$. Barring any screw-ups by the dealer for the whole spark plug thing (which may be impossible to prove), what's the problem here? I have worked on Hondas on the side for a while now and I have seen many things go wrong with engines for apparently no reason at all. Don't you think it possible that the engine had a problem from the start, that just now happened to manifest itself? Just because it's a Honda, doesn't mean it's indestructable. It sounds like you got a great deal, a new motor for 1/4 the price.

According to Sky's post, his car is no out of warranty which in the US, is 3/36. Shouldn't an an enthusiast of his caliber have gotten an extended warranty? I sure would have. I would have walked in to the dealer the minute I heard the noise and bought one. Then you wouldn't have any problems now or in the future.

Another thing that I'm wondering about is the MIL. The pictures of the burned piston and spark plug look pretty brutal. But wouldn't the MIL come on if the plug was causing a misfire? Every Honda that I have worked on with a misfire has coded up prior to engine failure. Also what about the cold air intake? Isn't it possible that some water got in there and was sucked in? #1 cyl is right off of the t-body so it would have gotten hit first. The whole thing seems weird.

I hope I'm not coming across as sceptic, I just want to know what happened as bad as Sky does and there are so many things that could have gone wrong. I hope everything works out for you Sky. Now that you have a new motor, you can drive your frustrations away.

PS what about those dents? The dealer should take car of those for you if you ask nicely. (If they want to keep you as a customer anyway)

Later y'all
Old 04-20-2004, 09:48 PM

Looking At the pictures it looks like your nos leaned out. How high of a kit did you have on it? 150 or 200 horsepower ? I build large cubic inch chevy motors. Pistons and plugs only look like that when you melt them down, when it is too lean. I have never seen a loose spark plug cause that !
You must have me confused with someone who's fond of nos. I've never used nos and am not fond of it. NOS! The only time I'd use nitrous is to get some laughs or for anesthesia.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drummer911
Old 04-20-2004, 10:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RED MX5
Old 04-21-2004, 07:20 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RED MX5

Quick Reply: Loud clanking noise from engine - Please HELP!