S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lots of gas in oil

Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipopvtec
Your fuel pressure regulator is f@#ked. Get a new one.
Hmm. I do not have black smoke, fouled spark plugs, rough idle, poor fuel economy, the typical symptoms of a fuel pressure regulator.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44
Originally Posted by Hickey322' timestamp='1330006796' post='21442444
That's correct I run a test pipe with CEL fix.....
Test pipe? Missing Oxygen sensor? There's your problem. Your engine is running rich.
Slalom, I think the secondary 02 doesn't determine if the system is running rich or not, the primary one does. The 2ndary is just to check that the catalytic converter is working properly, right?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

the rear o2 sensor checks the efficiency of the cat by measuring the difference in the air stream after the first 02 sensor, if there isn't a difference in readings between the two sensors then it throws a code as it thinks the cat. conv. is no longer effective. If there is an improvement in the air stream and readings between the two sensors then the cat. conv. is working as intended. The second cat doesn't determine air fuel mixtures.

BTW, the OP still has no evidence of his car running rich. Unless you check the plugs, get an air-fuel reading, or analyze your used oil there is no reason to believe the car is running rich solely based on oil "smell".
Old 02-24-2012, 05:16 PM

There are only a handful of ways you are going to get fuel into the crankcase. Many have been mentioned, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the possiblity of a fuel injector that is not seating all the way from time to time. If it were sticking open all the time, I would think you would have driveability/idle issues or even DTC's for misfires or overly rich mixtures at your primary O2, but you said you don't have that. If an injector failed to full seat when you shut the engine off, it is going to bleed of the existing rail pressure letting fuel into the cylinder, and then into the crankcase.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hickey322
What would the testing do for me, confirm the gas in the oil? I can smell a strong gas odor, so I know it's there. I know a nose is not the most accurate scientific instrument, but it does work. Would sending for analysis help diagnose my problem of how the gas is getting there?
Gasoline has a very strong distinctive smell. It doesn't take much in the oil to smell it. If you want to know how much is getting in your oil (fuel dilution %) and whether it's normal, then you'll have to do oil analysis. I would not recommend using Blackstone Labs for tuning your engine. Their method for testing fuel is not accurate enough for this purpose. I would recommend Polaris Labs or Dyson Analysis. Polaris will give you the more accurate data you need, but you'll have to interpret the data yourself. Dyson will give you all the data you need, plus a professional interpretation if you want it.

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
Originally Posted by Hickey322' timestamp='1329843191' post='21435480
What would the testing do for me, confirm the gas in the oil? I can smell a strong gas odor, so I know it's there. I know a nose is not the most accurate scientific instrument, but it does work. Would sending for analysis help diagnose my problem of how the gas is getting there?
Gasoline has a very strong distinctive smell. It doesn't take much in the oil to smell it. If you want to know how much is getting in your oil (fuel dilution %) and whether it's normal, then you'll have to do oil analysis. I would not recommend using Blackstone Labs for tuning your engine. Their method for testing fuel is not accurate enough for this purpose. I would recommend Polaris Labs or Dyson Analysis. Polaris will give you the more accurate data you need, but you'll have to interpret the data yourself. Dyson will give you all the data you need, plus a professional interpretation if you want it.

Good luck!
^ listen to this fella, a used oil analysis is the best way to have some peace of mind on this issue, for relatively low cost, plus we get to see some more used oil analysis data . Engine oil contains combustion by-products, it is not unusual for your oil to have a gasoline "smell" to it.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
I currently have the free testing kit from Blackstone on the way. I will consider Polaris or Dyson instead. It looks like that is the next step. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hickey322
Originally Posted by INDYMAC' timestamp='1330167667' post='21449967
I currently have the free testing kit from Blackstone on the way. I will consider Polaris or Dyson instead. It looks like that is the next step. Thanks everyone.
Good choice