S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lots of gas in oil

Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of gas in oil

Every time I change my oil, it contains a lot of gas. I can smell it and the oil is always black, even if I change it after 1500 miles. I use 5w30 Castrol Edge w/Syntec. I am thinking it could be my keepers or retainers. There is no smoke from my exhaust. Any ideas?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Send it off to be tested. This sounds highly unscientific.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 AM

What would the testing do for me, confirm the gas in the oil? I can smell a strong gas odor, so I know it's there. I know a nose is not the most accurate scientific instrument, but it does work. Would sending for analysis help diagnose my problem of how the gas is getting there?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Compression test it dres to rent from autozone.

Bad rings is about the only way aside from valve stem seals or valve guides on the intake side that it can get into the oil.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Do you idle your engine for long periods?

At BITOG, I have heard this called the "Soccer Mom Effect". Soccer moms will sit at theri kid's soccer game with their engine running, causing excessive fuel dilution. Lots of cold starts and no long highway runs will contribute to this as well.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,639 Posts

like rob-2 said you can only tell by having the oil sample tested. Almost every used oil I've sniffed has smelled like gasoline, yet I've never had any significant fuel % listed in my oil samples.

Keepers and retainers have no effect on fuel in oil, it would be more related to blow-by and rich fuel mixtures. I'm willing to be you are fine, but have your used oil analyzed, it's the only way to know.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hickey322
Every time I change my oil, it contains a lot of gas. I can smell it and the oil is always black, even if I change it after 1500 miles. I use 5w30 Castrol Edge w/Syntec. I am thinking it could be my keepers or retainers. There is no smoke from my exhaust. Any ideas?
Why would you think it's your keepers or retainers? Please explain your logic.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44
Do you idle your engine for long periods?

At BITOG, I have heard this called the "Soccer Mom Effect". Soccer moms will sit at theri kid's soccer game with their engine running, causing excessive fuel dilution. Lots of cold starts and no long highway runs will contribute to this as well.

And then, when Soccer Mom's car does get on the highway, like going on a holiday or a weekend trip, they find themselves with low oil level at the first fuel station.
All the fuel and water has evaporated, it was keeping the oil level "normal" during the week.
Assuming Soccer Mom's husband checkes the oil every now and then

So.. next time OP goes for an oil change: drive for at least an hour / 60 miles, get some temp in the engine & oil.
Change oil & smell.

A quick & easy valve stem seal check: warm engine, accelerate in 2nd / 3rd to redline, then engine brake to idle revs, get back on the throttle and look for blue smoke in rear view mirror.
Retainers and keepers have nothing to do with this.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am still learning about this engine (and engines in general), and was confused as to what the keepers and retainers actually do. I've heard of AP1 intake retainers getting busted (I still have my stock retainers) and figured this could be related.

I do not idle the car for long periods of time. My car used to burn a lot of oil (2 qts+ between changes with Mobile 1), but since I've switched to Castrol Edge it burns less than a qt between oil changes.

I plan to send the oil for analysis next oil change. I have the oil from my last change in my oil container, would sitting for two months in the plastic container affect the results? I will also try the valve stem check that Spitfire suggested.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:44 AM

any reason y u r using 5w30?

Quick Reply: Lots of gas in oil