S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loss of pressure in clutch?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of pressure in clutch?

Here's what happened:

I was driving home from work today, and as I pulled out of my parking spot the shift into first and second was normal; but as I shifted into third the clutch went super soft and the engagement point was almost all the way to the floor.

The rest of the drive home was the same way. The clutch was super soft and the engagement point was very low and it seemed like the engagement range was broader.

The weird part was the further I drove home, the clutch seemed to very gradually build pressure. The last 5 miles of the trip the clutch was a little more normal than the first few miles. Also, the further I went up in gears the clutch seemed to build pressure slightly. For example, the shift into first was very soft, then 2nd was a tiny bit more pressure, and third was slightly more, and so on.

I--
I know absolutely nothing about clutches, so I don't know what to check. So my question is, what should be the first few things I check?

The clutch is fairly new. Also, my s2000 is turbo'd but I don't think that is what caused it because I haven't done a pull in a week or so.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:12 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Clutch fluid is likely low.

Do NOT just add fluid. Clean it out spotless with paper towels first, then fill with brake fluid. Fill it 75%, you need room at the top for the cap.

fI you are lucky the pedal will come back. If not you will need to bleed.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:55 AM

I had similar experience couple days ago.

I felt something different with my clutch and it was becoming soft so I checked the fluids. It was below the min level. I had some brake fluid that I used to do the Billman's initial change about a year ago (It was kept sealed). So I filled it back up and pumped the pedal but still soft. I though I might have some air in the system so took my car to a shop next to my house. I explained what happen and I asked him to do clutch bleed. He told me that my clutch is gone so bleeding won't do any good. So I said thank you and left the shop.

More driving around made the clutch to come back and felt normal so I came home and found the leakage from the cmc and tiny drips along the clutch pedal. So I did more Billman's initial cluth fluid change 7 times (pumping clutch 30 times in between) yesterday and the clutch fluids look clean now. I am going to wait couple weeks observing the fluid level and see if the leakage stops.

OP, hope your clutch problem is minor.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 AM

If the clutch fluid is low, there's a leak somewhere.

I would double-check the slave cylinder by pulling back the boot and checking for fluid leaks. Also, look under the dash where the CMC pushrod is for any signs of fluid leakage.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

90% of S2000 clutch master cyls leak under the dash.

It is no cause for alarm or reason to change it. Just do as I said every 5k and you will be fine.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:50 PM

I checked my fluid thismorning and it wayyy low; there's barely any in there! I have been driving my other car all day as to not further aggravate the clutch issue. When I get home from work I will clean, fill, and bleed the clutch. Hopefully that will fix it!

As you guys have said, if the fluid is low, then there must be a leak somewhere. Most leaks are from the master cylinder on the inside of the dash? That will be the first place I check. Any other common leak areas?

-Btw, thanks for the helpful responses!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by UCF_S2K
I checked my fluid thismorning and it wayyy low; there's barely any in there! I have been driving my other car all day as to not further aggravate the clutch issue. When I get home from work I will clean, fill, and bleed the clutch. Hopefully that will fix it!

As you guys have said, if the fluid is low, then there must be a leak somewhere. Most leaks are from the master cylinder on the inside of the dash? That will be the first place I check. Any other common leak areas?

-Btw, thanks for the helpful responses!

I noticed mine was leaking, but down through the firewall and it collected on the bottom of the drivers side (under the car) near the black plastic piece under your feet. It didn't get into my cabin, so that's another place you can check to see if it is leaking.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 AM

Mine does that, every 5K or so, just as Billman has said. No need to worry, just check it every so often. I just crack the bleeder and and add fluid (gravity bleed) and it comes back, feeling better than ever. It doesn't cause me any worry, it doesn't happen quick or often enough to be a big deal.