S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loss of power! Please help!

Old 11-08-2004, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lycean,Nov 8 2004, 07:27 PM
When I took the car into Honda they found that there was a faulty valve in the emissions control related to the carbon canister back near the fuel tank. Apparently they could hear an odd noise from it when the car was up on the lift.
Is this the same canister "boiler" mentioned a week ago in this thread that everyone just ignored??

Originally Posted by boiler,Nov 2 2004, 07:39 PM
When you put gas in your car, is there a lot of pressure/vacuum built up in the gas tank?

I'm beginning to think the evaporative canister may be plugged? If there is no way to equalize the pressure in the gas tank, it may have a vacuum built up in it and possibly causing fuel delivery problems?

Just a thought.
Seems a good theory that could be easily tested by removing the fuel cap once the problem presents itself. This would release the vacuum until the fuel level dropped off again.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by apex2k,Nov 9 2004, 02:23 PM
Is this the same canister "boiler" mentioned a week ago in this thread that everyone just ignored??
I believe so. I just got the service center to check the service records to double check what was done and they just have "replaced charcoal canister" listed.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:45 AM

Very interesting topic. The same is happening to me, mine is my00 gp white. I have no idea what is causing it. Ive owned mine for 6 months now, and it has gradually gotten worse to wear this happens everyday. Ive tried map whackin and map beatin, nothing will work. Ive tried resetting the ECU, notta. When I map whacked, it seemed like it fixed it for 2 minutes then back to the same thing. My car will even idle funny when this is going on, almost cutting off everything and shutting my car down. I use Chevron 93 octane everytime, with exception of the 87 octane my father put in it the first month i owned it. Since then I have ran the gas down to like one bar to ensure it is out, then refill wiht the good shat. WE NEED HELP.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:10 AM

Hey Lycean, that sounds like it makes sense. How much was the part to get fixed, and where abouts is it located on the car, I have noticed a noise coming from where it seems like right around where the doors are (halfway or so back). Let me know or PM me or something, very interesting.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:18 AM

You've got trash in your fuel line.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:03 PM

Something else I would like to add to my problem, I'm not sure if its his problem too, but I think its related. Its a slight backfire buildup when low rpms are in. Like, when I'm idiling at a roll, or slightly gassing it before 3k rpms or so, I can hear like a gurgeling of gases, almost as if its a bigger engine....I know that sounds quite stupid, but thats what it sounds like, and then eventually, if i keep at it, it will just backfire a little bit. I'm not talking about "KKKAAAAPPPOOOOWWW" like your grandfathers 81 custom delux, just a small "cough..cough". Any more ideas? Thank you all for the great input
Old 11-09-2004, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apex2k,Nov 8 2004, 11:23 PM

Seems a good theory that could be easily tested by removing the fuel cap once the problem presents itself. This would release the vacuum until the fuel level dropped off again.
Yes, we're talking about the same part.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:56 PM

What do you call cold? I've found the problem to be not as bad in winter but if
I'm stuck in traffic long enough it will still happen. I may have an extreme case because I hit bumper to bumper traffice at the end of a 100 zone.

At least try the radiator mat before outlaying more money on components and see if it makes any difference.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:54 AM

I think the charcoal canister makes sense. I'll call my mechanic tomorrow and ask him how much would it cost to change it, i'll write again to you guys, really thanks for the posts.
Lukep6470 mentioned radiator mat, what does this mean? (sorry for my english, it's my 2nd language) ?
Old 11-10-2004, 10:59 AM

PS yes i do have a lot of pressure in the fuel tank, when i open the cap to refill it, the pressure gets released.

Quick Reply: Loss of power! Please help!