S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loss of power! Please help!

Old 11-02-2004, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you put gas in your car, is there a lot of pressure/vacuum built up in the gas tank?

I'm beginning to think the evaporative canister may be plugged? If there is no way to equalize the pressure in the gas tank, it may have a vacuum built up in it and possibly causing fuel delivery problems?

Just a thought.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You still have a couple of "relatively cheapie" repair options you're looking into Cyprus. Do them. Then, when their results leave you with this same issue...go after the fuel pump. I experienced the very same thing you are talking about. Out of warranty, it can be a relatively costly (and definitely time-consuming) replacement -- then again, how much time have you sunk into this problem already ?

Our fuel pump (and probably not just ours...probably late-gen fuel pumps in general) are extremely finicky about sucking air instead of fuel. My own experience with enthusiast meets/drives left me in a couple of precarious instances when the group drive found itself still out in the middle of nowhere enjoying the country roads...... And me ...showing zero fuel bars...and still 50-odd miles to return to a filling station. These instances undoubtedly had their toll on my S2000's fuel pump in my opinion. And regardless of whether we'll ultimately share the same issue, my own experience was that a replaced fuel pump removed this problem 100%. Nearly a year ago to the day...and not a single buck/bog like I'd experienced previously.

Here's my old "run-down-the-hesitation" >>thread<<.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2004, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help Dave, i'll try the fuel pump aswell. I'll PM you.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:44 PM

Remember my post about the problem i have with the s2k?
I'll Briefly explain it again:
After 20-30 mins of driving, specially daytime, the car suddenly dies, looses half of the power, nearly impossible stop and go, no performance, than suddenly it turns back to normal again. Doesnt do it when the tank is full, doesnt do it when i first drive it in the morning.
I have been PMing W1ingman and Xviper, who i think know the best about this issue, also i have a topic you can find by searching 'loss of power! please help'.
PS i dont have any MIL or any codes. Computer shows nothing wrong aswell.
Done Before:
-Valve Adjustments,
-Injector cleaning,
-Iridium Greddy (made by NGK) spark plugs
-100 octanes of fuel used all the time.
Done Today:
-Fuel Filter (new one, not used)
-Fuel Pump
-Coils
-MAP Sensor
Hopefully will be done tomorrow:
-ECU.
How i'm doing this?
Today, i woke up and went to the dealer i brought my car from. He has another s2k for sale there, a yellow one. I had a tough discussion with him and finally i had the other s2k for changing the some parts with mine. When i bought the car he gave me one year warranty. It's only been a couple months. I got the yellow one and went to my mechanic, we switched some parts and put a new fuel filter.
I'll see whats going to happen in the next few days specially after tomorrow when i'll hopefully change the ECU (if we can get the code from the main dealer).

If all these doesnt solve the problem, i think HONDA should give me a free s2k bcoz i'll sue them for making a 'faulty' car, and giving authorized dealership to people who cant solve a problem and dont know shit about hondas.

Still, i'm waiting to hear from u guys about any possible solution. Like i said before in my other post, i dont have many places in my country to go for help, so i except some help from the people of this community. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You are losing continuity by starting a new thread on the same topic. It is very hard for people to follow what's going on if you start a new thread whenever you do something new for the same problem. This should have been posted at the end of the existing thread you started. I'm going to merge this thread with the other one. Please keep this in mind for the next time.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:05 PM

Ok man
Old 11-04-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

let us know if you ever figure out what the problem was.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:50 AM

Well, i changed the ECU today with another one. I'll test the car for a week or two, or two full tanks. I'm gonna let u guys know what happens. If the problem doesnt go away, i'll change the o2 sensor. The only thing which didnt change. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:01 AM

Ok people, please read this.
My S2K's problem briefly:
-Big Loss of power after driving half an hour. Doesnt do it in highway, does it in traffic. Doesnt do it all the time, does it more in hot weather.
It's not heat bog that goes away after a little while, this lasts for 15-20 minutes. No difference when i turn off the car then turn it on, it's the same.
What i have done to solve this briefly:
-100 Octane Premium Unleaded used all the time. (didnt work)
-Valve adjustments (didnt work)
-Injector Cleaning (didnt work)
-Greddy Iridium Spark Plugs (didnt work)
-Greddy Airinx air filter (didnt work)
-Original new fuel filter (didnt work)
-Fuel Pump (switched from another s2k, didnt work)
-MAP Sensor (switched from another s2k, didnt work)
-Coils (4 of them switched from another s2k, didnt work)
-ECU (switched from another s2k, didnt work)
-Many ECU resets and MAP Whacks (didnt work)
The Car:
2001 S2k with no mods. Only single output exhaust.
Me:
Confused and feel hopeless.
You:
Please post replys if you have ANY idea what the problem might be.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Banned

Is the car making any unusual sounds compared to other s2ks? (assuming you have compared it....for example when you are in the engine bay and rev the motor) This is a longshot, but it MAY effect timing if it is bad enough, but there have been cases of the cam chain auto tensioner losing tension. It is right under the vtec solenoid, youll know if it loses tension though as youll hear a loud metallic sound when you rev. The best way to check is to compare it to someone elses, and do the screw driver test (put a long screw driver's tip on it and listen through the handle) This is kind of unlikely to be your problem but it is just another suggestion (I dont want to see you throwing another 100 dollars into the car for no reason) Has the car ever been flooded? A car being flooded will show electrical symptoms similar to yours after corrosion has effected connections etc (although I think it would show those symptoms all the time rather than in just hot weather/traffic)

Quick Reply: Loss of power! Please help!