S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loss of power! Please help!

Old 11-01-2004, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been having a similar problem with my 2003 for a couple weeks. No CEL code, just bogging, or cutting out when I'm accelerating. Idle is fine, and the problem seems to show up randomly. Dealer changed the spark plugs and now they're going to log some data this afternoon and talk with Honda about it.

W1ngman said he had a similar problem and finally guessed, correctly, that it was his fuel pump. They replaced that and it was fixed. Keep this thread up to date and it might help the rest of us. This sucks!
Old 11-01-2004, 07:55 AM

Dante's problem sounds like mine, i have an idle problem aswell, i'll briefly explain the problem again. I turn on my car in the morning right, eveything is normal, no cel codes or anything. I drive it for around 20 mins, i get into traffic, i drive prepared for any heat bog, after a while when i'm driving normally, suddenly the car dies. Imagine in driving normally, i try to accelerate, i can't! I have to press the clutch to the floor , give it more gas than remove from clutch again even when i'm in a mid speed like 30mph or 40 mph. Performance dies, than for the rest of the time until i stop my car has no performance. Stop and go? go becomes nearly impossible after i stop. Driving normally at any speed any gear and rpm it doesnt matter, the car has no performance. Feels like driving my vw golf 1.6!
I changed spark plugs, cleaned injectors, changed oil many times, took the car to two different dealers, no difference. No cel codes, no cel, no anything on the diagnostics. Its driving me crazy and i see it's not only me, there must be a reason for this problem init?! i see some people who had the same issue but they all solved it different ways. I see there's many things which might cause this, so i (we) need to get many different true possible solutions from many people init?
Old 11-01-2004, 01:53 PM

Could it be his clutch that needs replacing?
Old 11-01-2004, 03:46 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply,
I did think of that as possibility, but i think clutch isnt the problem bcoz if it was then the car would do it all the time wouldnt it, i think it's either
-ECU or one of MAP or O2 sensors (electronics)
-Fuel System
-Air System
-Spark system

I think these are the possibilities, but who knows what it is.
I guess fixing my problem wont need a major repair, because it doesnt give any CEL or codes nothing. Just doesnt drive right, air-fuel ratio gets interrupted. I'm afraid its gonna turn out to be the ECU doe, how much is a new ECU?
Old 11-01-2004, 04:13 PM

And today i realized it's running rich aswell when it does the problem,
the exhaust outputs bad fuel smell, and when i checked my plugs they were all black, most important of all i wastes 3 times more petrol than it normally does.
Any ideas?
Old 11-01-2004, 04:16 PM

PS It never does this when the petrol tank is FULL, when i fill up the tank no matter how long i drive for, it doesnt make any problem. After the fuel starts to go down a bit on the screen, there starts the problem, does it for most of the time.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:17 PM

I don't know if this will help or applies in the S. The problem you described is exactly what I experienced in the good old '87 MR2. I had the air flow meter changed. If the S is equipped with the air flow meter, try swapping it with your friend to see if the problem persists. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2004, 06:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthCyprus,Nov 1 2004, 07:16 PM
PS It never does this when the petrol tank is FULL, when i fill up the tank no matter how long i drive for, it doesnt make any problem. After the fuel starts to go down a bit on the screen, there starts the problem, does it for most of the time.
A full tank may be an indication of better fuel pressure (higher level, more pressure). When the car is running poorly, check the fuel pressure. If it's not at the proper level, it might be time to just pull the fuel pump, look at the filter and change both.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:17 PM

All the things i did didnt solve the problem,
Now i'm gonna get the Fuel Filter changed, i'm also going to change the Fuel Pump if i have to. The problem might be simple as some not properly plugged wire, i think there's a big chance it might have someting to do with the coil. I went to a mechanic today and he said the problem might be the coil sometimes not giving power to the spark plugs, missing spark. He said the increased fuel consumption might be related to that. What do you think of that?
Old 11-02-2004, 02:30 PM

Thanks man i'll get those checked. I'll do the fuel filter first, what do you think of the fuel filter? is it possible it's the filter?

Quick Reply: Loss of power! Please help!