S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loss of power! Please help!

Old 10-30-2004, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always used UNLEADED. The petrol i used before was unleaded 91+ but yes, dirty petrol. When this problem is happening, on the highway because if driving at a certain rpm i dont recognise the problem, in traffic jams and slow traffic or normal city driving, i feel the half of the car's power dies when it does the thing. It starts suddenly, ends suddenly, but when it does it, it kills the car's power, no acceleration, when driving you try to accelerate, the rpm gets stuck, does it at any temperature. The temperature here changes between:
Spring-Summer-Autumn: between 68 - 115
Winter between: 59 - 77.
But the problem happens at any temp.

HELP Please!
Old 10-30-2004, 12:01 PM

PS: The octane ratings are same in here with US.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:17 PM

I had a similar thing happen and the "map whack" appeared to clear it, but that was only because the ECU was being reset each time. Turned out to be the vacuum control valve (its name was something like that anyway). The fault was only intermitent, but replacing that removed the problem totally.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by NorthCyprus,Oct 30 2004, 12:59 PM
I always used UNLEADED. The petrol i used before was unleaded 91+ but yes, dirty petrol. When this problem is happening, on the highway because if driving at a certain rpm i dont recognise the problem, in traffic jams and slow traffic or normal city driving, i feel the half of the car's power dies when it does the thing. It starts suddenly, ends suddenly, but when it does it, it kills the car's power, no acceleration, when driving you try to accelerate, the rpm gets stuck, does it at any temperature. The temperature here changes between:
Spring-Summer-Autumn: between 68 - 115
Winter between: 59 - 77.
But the problem happens at any temp.

HELP Please!
It sounds like you are saying that this does not occur on the highway only in stop and go city/traffic jam driving. Sounds like heat bog to me. I don't think you are having a fuel problem as fuel delivery or an octane problem would also reveal itself during highway driving.

JeffA
Old 10-30-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What RPM is the engine running when this problem happens? What is the weather like?

This sounds like what mine does at 1200 - 1500 RPM in stop and go traffic. To clear mine, I push the clutch in and start over again. This only happens in first gear and stop and go traffic.

If your problem isn't in stop and go traffic, it could be related to the fuel filter or fuel pump.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:32 PM

When my car is doing this thing ive been talking about (i'd like to remind it doesnt do it all the time) stop and go gets hard, harder if i stop and wait too much like 20-30 secs. The car does this except vtec, in low rpm around 1000-4000. But when it does this, and say im accelerating, around 3000-5000, it acclerates slowly, feels like it wont go up no more, but when vtec kicks, it's a bit better. Not like the car's normal 'mood'. My problem happens more in the first gear. When the gear is in neutral and istop and press the gas, the rpm seems to go up normally, when i start driving it, hell again.
PS What does a 'heat bug' mean?
Old 10-30-2004, 05:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been in PM communication with NorthCyprus for a little while now and from the additional information that he is giving me with each PM, I am beginning to think that his is the "bucking" issue, which is not a true mechanical problem. I have explained this "heat bog" to him in the PM. I have sent him this link to read over and I include it here for all to see:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57405

I am starting believe that due to the slight language barrier and the extreme distance involved and the fact that there are so few S2000s in his part of the world, that this "bucking" can easily be construed as a major mechanical problem.

NC, please try the recommendations that I mentioned in my PMs and tell me how this works out.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:33 PM

Dear Friends,
The 'bucking' thing you explained matches my problem till some point, i know my car does that and in stop and go traffic i need to be careful when going. Now i understand i actually have two problems, the 'bucking', and the low performance problem. When going at mid rpm like 4000 at a speed of 50 miles my car would have the problem still. I press the gas more but i get really slow response no matter what gear. Even if i get response i dont get performance like i do when my car is in the normal 'mood'. I think my problem is something else aswell as 'bucking'. I'm ok with bucking actually if i solve the other shitty problem, which really kills the car when it happens. I'm ordering a new fuel filter on tuesday, i'll get it changed in 2 weeks, i'll see what happens than, but i'm worried about things, what if its not the filter and it's the ECU? I'm in trouble than init? How much would a new ECU cost, any other chance to repair it? I have lots of questions in my head. I woory about these things bcoz i love my car and i paid a lot for it. What else might this be? what do you guys/gals think?
PS: Bucking is a big problem in my country where it hot like hell for 10 months of the year, i have the bucking problem with VW Golf 1.6 aswell, not much as s2k doe.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:47 PM

[QUOTE=mxt_77,Oct 30 2004, 09:49 AM]Only other thing I can think to do would be to buy an OBD-II datalogger.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:36 AM

I did pm xviper and we've been talking about this for a while, he told me some possible things which might be the problem, but i need to know some more, i specially need to get some information from the owners who experienced the same problem. I appreciate any help, thanks.

Quick Reply: Loss of power! Please help!