S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loss of power! Please help!

Old 09-20-2005, 07:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My car didnt go also and it came out that any of the valves werent at the Right Oppening.
The were like 0.15 and they should be 0.25
Old 09-20-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthCyprus,Aug 26 2005, 05:21 PM
Until now i couldnt check the knock but i'll go to the mech and get;

Fuel Pressure Regulator,
Knock Sensor,
checked

and i'll block the coolant to the intake and let you know how it all turns out. If i dont post for a week or something on this thread plz dont think i'm not updating coz where i live , believe me things take time to do.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:27 PM

i had the same similar problem (intermitten loss of power) with my 2000 bmw 528, it turned out to be CPS - crank position sensor. i found that this was common problems for bmw replaced it and it was fine.

on my mercedes, i had similar problem as well, it turned out to be mass air flow sensor. it's a long shot, but give it a try.

mark
Old 09-21-2005, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the info;

Problem is not caused by the crankshaft sensors or the MAP sensor, we exchanged all those and tried. Now my car is in repair bcoz of this minor accident i had, latest thing about the problem was to disable the knock sensor, turned out it helps a little, i mean i still have the power loss/detonation and timing retard but less power loss when knock sensor is disabled.

I ordered AEM V2 CAI and i'll be installing as soon as i have the car.

I also installed (just before the accident) one of those grounding calbe kits and a Mugen positive charge system, seems to help about the throttle response, not with the problem.

XViper, thanks for all his support again, suggested having the ground cables checked. I did that on the day i installed the positive charge and the negative grounding cables, electrician said they're ok but i'll have them checked again to be sure.

I'll also be installing Apexi RSM right after i take the car.

I'll be updating when i test with the CAI & RSM.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:21 PM

I don't remember if you had checked your valve clearance but if you haven't start there first.Than check your intake mainfold for grime.Is it dirty?
Mine is and all valves were out of order,now they are in order and i will clean the mainfold and put the Hondata gasket next week.
Stop wasting money on sensors or upgrades if you haven't checked the valves.
My car pulls like a champ now but i have to change the clutch first and see if i beat that integra Type R.
See this tread
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=321208

MY car was running like Crap from New so i don't suspect the previous owner of your car to be the blame for.
I didn't know since i still have the only S2000 and i haven't raced anybody and when the ITR beat me 10 times i knew that the Car was not ok.
I didn't suspected it because i thought the car was running ok since i cant compare it with someone.At least you have 6 more on your island.
I will write you if you like so you know what happens.
Stefce
Old 09-22-2005, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the info,
first of all i have to tell you that i had my valves adjusted and throttle body changed also the air filter etc.. like i mentioned before on this thread. This sort of a problem is hard to find but i know i'm close to the solution. I know this has something tto do with the fuel system/learning ecu. I changed my ECU before, also fuel filter, pump, injectors to 550cci than back to stock but non of these worked. In my country the quality of the petrol is sometimes good, sometimes bad. I live in an economically not-developed counrty so they get the cheapest petrol to sell. When i want to buy 98+ or 100 octanes, i have to cross to the south side of the country which is like 30-40 kms away from where i live.

When my car gets out of repair, i'll be testing it with 98+ octane with CAI, RSM and a reset ECU to see how different it's gonne be to give me an idea.

Thanks for your help again.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:33 PM

Just to say My Country has Bad Petrol also.
we drive on 95 and here it says we have something like 98 which is called 95+++
So i don't think your car doesn't go because of fuel./
The Hondas run good on all petrol's just better on better ones no performance loss there like your car does.
Or maybe because hour car is JDM maybe they are more sensitive on gas?
I have seen that the S2000 in Japan is rated 125/L and not the 120/L we have and it says its 184KW and mine is 177KW
See what your says on the Registration document.
And did you examine the intake mainfold?
Take off the hose and Open the Throttle body to see for cleanness/
STefce.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have I ever suggested to try octane boost? Can you get it? Or have you already tried it. If it's bad gas, octane boost should nullify its affects.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:34 AM

Yes i did, i tried STP and Nitrox, also some fuel system cleaners such as Nitrox, Stp, Redline etc..

Octane boost seems to help, but doesnt get rid of it.

Like i mentioned i did try using 98 and 100 octane before, seems to help but doesnt get rid of the problem.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:59 AM

If you believe you may have bad petrol, drain the petrol tank, service the fuel pump, (located on top of the petrol tank) and replace any filter's assosiated with the fuel system.

If you do all that and the problem still exist's, you can pretty much rule out bad gas.

Quick Reply: Loss of power! Please help!