S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loss of power! Please help!

Old 12-14-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

no.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if someone already suggested but why not buy a cheapo OBD2 scanner or borrow one, have it plugged during driving and read it when the freak occurs??
At least you will know if the ecu is pulling timing or coolant temperture sensor is reading correctly and such.
All the symtom I've read all seems to associate with timing getting pulled dramatically by the ecu although i'm not 100% sure will it trigger a check light.
Are you 100% sure it wasn't modified from the past and put back to stock?
I had several situation before where a VAFC was hook up on a S2000 and the wires were spliced poorly causing the car to act weird intermittenly ( sp?).
So if a electronic piggyback was installed before and was taken off unprofessionally, the wires can possibilly be loose or unwrapped. Who knows what the first owner in Japan did to his car.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:31 AM

I changed all those sensors , if you read the previous pages of the thread you will notice that. I still couldnt get the clutch changed, i will soon,than let you know what happens. What you said is true, nobody knows how the car was driven b4 me, its not easy to find a datalogger here, actually you cant find one. I dont know if it was modified form before but i'm not sure, might be.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:44 PM

ok i have the same problems but the problems didn't occure untill 3k's miles later.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:15 PM

I just thought of something the other day. How noisy is your valvetrain or the motor in general?
Could it be the knock sensor is detecting unusual engine noise thinking it's knock which start pulling timing hard during those times.
It couldn't be a faulty knock sensor because it would trigger a check light so I'm thinking maybe it's some other "noise" or "vibration".
Maybe you are detonating or pinging slightly but never noticed.

Can you also post how often the freak occurs. I read that the car start acting out after it's warmed up but was never stated how often.
Example: After warmed up, freak occurs for 10 minutes then back to normal for certain amount of minutes and occurs again. Something like that.

Just trying to help out.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:12 AM

well about 2 days ago i drove the car a hard for about 5 min and then from that next morning till now, the "maint req" light has come on on start up then goes away. driving hard meaning just gunning the car in like 3rd-4th gear. The very FIRST time the problem did occur and went away about 10 min later and was fine but about 2 weeks later or maybe a week later it was perfectly fine and once i turned the car off for no more then a min and turned it back on and hit hte road that instant the same problem occured and now the only problem that is here and hasn't gone away is that it isn't as strong and the peak power doesn't seem oh so peak anymore. its as if that pull into the seat feeling is gone and just instead of 200whp maybe 20-30 whp seems to have been lost. Btw, the problem or the freak taht woudl occur was just that it felt like the car wasn't moving for shit. I mean your flooring the damn gas paddle and it felt like it took forever for the rpm to climb around 3k's and up and just felt like a B16 motor and not that same powerful f20c that i once had.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the help Hybrid,
Same we have here, i hear some unusual sounds but my mechanic said it's coming from the Clutch. I feel it under my feet when i floor the clutch or let go slowly. It's a vibration which sounds like tapping i hear it more around 1500-3000 rpm. I now have the power loss more than ever, starts when i start the car , doesnt stop. I think this might be related to clutch, i think it's a mechanic problem bcoz i eliminated all the electronic possibilities and it's getting worse and worse. Now, when i start the car (also i noticed it's getting harder to start the car, feels like the battery is dead, but its 1 week old, used to do it with the old battery aswell, didnt get any better with the new one) i drive the car, feels like shit, like Bsweeper said, it feels like a smaller/old engine. I'm now still waiting for the clutch to get here, than i'll give the car to my mechanic, he guaranteed me to solve the problem, he said it's not the clutch, but the clutch needs to be replaced aswell! Specially when i try to start the car and move, it feels like shit. What do you guys think?
Old 12-23-2004, 11:35 AM

I think you should let someone familiar with manual transmissions drive the car. He will tell you right away if it is your clutch. No sense in throwing money away.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:32 PM

The mechanic i currently go to is the best in the island. He did drive the car, he heared the noise, he felt the vibration, he said
a-there's plenty of power loss, but it's not related to the clutch, he said it's something else but he guaranteed to find out what it is.

b-the clutch needs to be replaced.
He said s2k's , specially 00-01-02 models have this problem with the clutch and the solution is to change the clutch.

He also said something like (i didnt understand what he exactly said) oil pins or oil jets aswell, he said in 00 01 02 s2ks, there's a problem with the oil jets and the engine suddenly stops and never works again! he said he knows a couple people who had to change their engines bcoz of this and the solution is to change the oil jets, which are very cheap.
The oil jet thing is not related to my car's problem but it's a good thing to do i think.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:07 AM

Hello People, it's been a long time i didnt post which has 2 reasons, one is that my internet connection was dead for a while, i didnt do much about the problem for a while and didnt drive the car.

But in january, i took the car to my mechanic, i got the clutch changed with an ACT Clutch, i changed my oil jets,
i knew these were not related to my problem, but my mechanic did a couple of things to solve the problem too, he did ultrasonic cleaning to the injectors, which solved the problem for a while, but after like 200-300 kms , the problem turned back. Now i'm pretty sure it's related to the fuel system.

What i did about the fuel system was:
-Using best quality fuel (100 EU octanes : 98 US Octanes)
-Ultrasonic injector cleaning
-New fuel filter
-Switched the fuel pump with another s2k.

(PS , i changed the MAP, o2s, ECU, EGR Valve, and some other sensors aswell, CAT, Exhaust). If i was paying for these i coulndt have done them but i'm under warranty!

The problem:
Big loss in power after driving a while, no matter the weather or fuel i use, no CEL, (the CEL is working fine, i got it checked), the car doesnt even slide a little, when i floor it and let go off the clutch it pings, feels like driving an old car! Honda coulndt find anything on the diagnose which i did for 3 times with 2 different mechs. I never have a CEL.

Why i'm so sure that it's related to the fuel system?
a-it was ok for a while after the ultrasonic injector cleaning,
b-it got worse when i used lower octane fuel after the 98 (i did put low octane to see how it's gonna go)

It feels like the fuel gets blocked somewhere and flows very less than normal. But WHERE?

Me and my mechanic think that there might be dirt in the tank or lines, so we decided to take out the fuel tank and clean it, how are we going to do it? he never removed one out of an s2k so he doesnt know, how is it done?

What else should we check?

Help me people, it's been 6 months i'm still trying to solve this.

PS: Where can i find a drawing which shows the fuel system of the car?

Quick Reply: Loss of power! Please help!