S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loss of power! Please help!

Old 11-13-2004, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NorthCyprus,Nov 13 2004, 07:07 AM
Well i had the valve adjustments done, my mechanic didnt say there was something wrong with them, he said my engine was very clean.
I am my cars second owner, the first owner was in Japan, the car is a japanese edition. On wednesday i'm getting the
-Cannister , -02 sensor , -cat
changed. Hope it solves the problem.
I'll also get him to check for bent valve.
Do the Japanese models have a catalytic convertor and all of the other emissions controls?
Old 11-13-2004, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only hit the rev limiter once or twice in my car since ive had it. Is it possible to bend a valve some other way?
Old 11-13-2004, 11:22 AM

Another issue, I havent discusssed this with Cyprus, but this is a consistent problem that goes along with the bogging down.

When I rev my engine to any rpm, even as low as 2k, when it comes back down, it will drop so low that it almost cuts off, (only one single orange bar).
Old 11-13-2004, 11:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiztedS2K,Nov 13 2004, 02:02 PM
I have only hit the rev limiter once or twice in my car since ive had it. Is it possible to bend a valve some other way?

When I rev my engine to any rpm, even as low as 2k, when it comes back down, it will drop so low that it almost cuts off, (only one single orange bar).
Hitting the rev limiter will not bend valves. That's why the limiter is there. Bent valves result from mechanical over-revs where the engine speeds can exceed 10,500 rpm.

Your second post is a very common trait with quite a few modern day fuel injected cars. Having the drivetrain disconnected at the clutch and revving the engine with no load and then letting the gas go can (but not always) give the ECU a tiny brain fart. Doing this is almost an unnatural thing for the car. Kinda like if someone suspended you up by ropes and you tried to run in mid air. It will only do it under certain combinations of conditions. I believe that if you were to repeat this enough times, the ECU will compensate after it learns that you like to do this. But then, what's the point? What are you trying to teach it?
Old 11-13-2004, 04:25 PM

Allright, well, after reading the post about the vacume hoses, I went outside, and checked them, they were ok. I then opened the fuse box up and just made sure each and every fuse with tightly secure. I also just made sure every electrical connection in the engine bay (that i could see) was secure. I took her out and so far teh problem is fixed. So Cyprus, try just making sure that each and every connection is secure, I dont know if that is what fixed mine, but ever since 4pm today, I have been ok, with no hiccups, I will keep in touch for details on how it acts tomorrow. Thank you everybody for all the help.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:08 AM

WHOA! now this is SOME IN FREAKY SHIT cuz i have THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. i KNOW exactly what you are tlakin about, with me, hte car was fine, i stopped to go into mcdonalds for a quick minute came out of the lot and bam the engine seems to be dead or something, i slam on the gas the rev goes up spd barely moves so i thought it was my clutch slipping and before taht time it happened once more for about 10 minutes and it went away and now i have this problem since the mcdonalds time all the time now. its as if there is no power going to the wheels to move the car. the engine seems to be like coughin out power meanin barely puttin power out. i can't seem to find this problem to and i am plannin on gettin a diagnostic as well but you said they coudln't find the reason to your problem which seems to be the same bull shit as mine and i know how you feel cuz i am going crazy as well. its stressin me out a lot. did you get the chance to figure it out or still the same problem with you?
Old 11-14-2004, 02:09 AM

btw, i had the car for about 2 months TOO!
Old 11-14-2004, 02:30 AM

mine occurs from like 2k's rpm all the way to vtec or the whole rpm range pretty much. the car does not pick up like it did around 3-5k's rpm and especially when vtec engages now at about what 6k's the engagement is NO WHERE near the pull/feel of it as oppose to before. when vtec would open up, i would get this push and just jerk a BIT into my seat, now its like barely 1/4 of the feel as before. the car seems as if it isn't a 240 hp but rather a 200 hp or lower car and the peak hp/tq at 6k's and above i believe so doesn't feel like exists anymore. you know how above 6k's the car JUST PULLS like a mo fo and you literally get this rush into your seat and the car just picks up after 6k that feel is almost totally gone after 6k.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:59 AM

This really sounds like my problem too,
Today i started my car, drove it for 10 mins, then i stopped, BUT, i didnt turn off the car and went to a friends house for like 20 mins. I came out, started driving my car, exactly like B Sweeper explained, my car died again. This is maily my problem. In the morning it doesnt do it at all. Perfect performance, after 20 mins or 30, slowly start to die, after more time, performanc dies more. 1/4 of the normal s2k performance, no acceleration, sometimes doesnt response to the gas AT ALL. It feels like driving a bus man, even worse. It knocks, feels like something is pulling the car than letting go than pulling again ...When the car has it's normal performance, i just love the thing. When this problem happens, i hate the thing. I'm starting to feel guilty bcoz of buying this car. After all those things i did and all the time and money i spent to find a solution, being not succesfull makes me feel like shit. I didnt change the cat , o2 sensor and cannister yet, but i think those wont help aswell. I just think this problem is going to stay forewer. HELP!
Old 11-14-2004, 06:27 AM

PS: My car seems to have a little bit of oil problem aswell, i burn oil actually, might this be a reason for a blocked cat? bcoz when the problem occurs it smells like running rich, it does run rich, and my exhaust sounds louder, really loud. It actually feels like theres something going on with the exhaust, feels like it wont let the exhaust flow out so the flow gets kind of stuck and it wont let the car go like it normally does. Possible? what do you people think?

Quick Reply: Loss of power! Please help!