S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

loss of power during heavy acceleration

Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loss of power during heavy acceleration

I have recently noticed a problem with my S. When I get on the gas sometimes the RPMs don't climb like they should and they may even drop down a bit. If I keep on the gas the car will go to the 9k redline eventually but it will take a lot of time. It will just seem like there is a sudden loss of power and the engine has problems revving higher. It seems to start having problems around the 5 or 6K RPM range and continues on (although this could be that i just start getting on the gas right before then). I have a CT SC with AC and it is making boost. I have about 88K on the car. I believe it is running a little rich cuz it is just tuned with the FPR. otherwise I don't know what the problem could be. The car will rev fine sometimes but it seems like after i have been driving it for awhile it has problems. The only thing that could come to my mind is fouled plugs or a timming issue but i don't know if they could cause this. Originally thought it was the clutch slipping but since the RPMs aren't climbing I ruled that out. It also goes into Vtec just fine if im not on the gas hard or down shifting so I would assume it isn't a problem with the V tec solenoid. Again it only happens when i'm on the throttle and it doesn't happen all the time.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

is your aftercooler pump working?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:09 PM

I doubt this is the issue but Is the car warmed up? That happens if you take it to v-tech before you get to normal operating temperature (3 squares). Perhaps you have a faulty temp gauge...shot in the dark

I know this because my dumb ass did it when I first got the car
Old 04-13-2011, 04:19 AM

Back in 08 I went to a crappy gas station and ended up with water in my fuel.

Similar things happened to me, so if you can't figure anything else out then take a look at your fuel filter ( I know pain in the Arse...) if you see some bad rusting, well you know why!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 AM

It isn't the aftercooler. The problem seems to be more when the car is warmed up then just starting up. I know all about that 3 bar thing as I was freaking out when I first bought the car. I could check the fuel filter but I doubt it is that. I checked it not to long ago when I put the blower in and it was fine.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Could be running too rich. When running really rich the car feels like it really boggs down! Do you have a wideband gauge? If not you should def get one being boosted!

Could also be running really lean. That is where the afr would change going into vtec. Before I was tuned with my stock vortech kit it would go super lean in vtec and bog down like crazy.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:11 PM

I have a wideband. A shop adjusted the car with the FPR. They set it at the richest setting to avoid running lean in any one place. The car appears to be running very rich except for a few spots all though it completely depends on how much gas I give it and the car doesn't even switch maps until 50% throttle.

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Could be running too rich. When running really rich the car feels like it really boggs down! Do you have a wideband gauge? If not you should def get one being boosted!

Could also be running really lean. That is where the afr would change going into vtec. Before I was tuned with my stock vortech kit it would go super lean in vtec and bog down like crazy.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

How rich is it running in vtec wot?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

original map sensor? my money is on the possibility that you need a map whack
Old 04-14-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k
original map sensor? my money is on the possibility that you need a map whack

I did the map whack thing and zip tied the sensor. I guess I could buy a new sensor but that would be very expensive if it turns out to not be the problem.

After the other comments I think it might be because it is running rich. It is running rich and I don't know if that progressively causes more problems over time. People just said to run it rich to be on the safe side with the base comptech kit. I don't know what effect it has on the plugs after a few thousand miles and the engine. I wish a damn code would come on so I would have more of an idea of what was wrong.

Quick Reply: loss of power during heavy acceleration